Before I proceed...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skot pearson

Reaction score
I'm blessed with the luxury of picking up this job where the last home owner left off. All vent pipe are dry vents. Fittings are questionable to me, although I believe will function just the same. Looking for opinions. Finish it off and slap up the drywall? From the cross, there is a channel leading to the attic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190528-120449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190528-120449_Gallery.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
they look like pressure fittings...has the system been tested for leaks??? you gotta put nailer plates were the vent pipe its so you don't screw thru it...have there been any inspections??????

they look like pressure fittings...has the system been tested for leaks??? you gotta put nailer plates were the vent pipe its so you don't screw thru it...have there been any inspections??????

No inspections yet. I have put plates in since the photo. They are pressure fittings. All three are above flood and all other drains so I was hoping there was a chance it might slide with the inspector. If anyone knows positively that they will not, I will replace them before inspection. If I can save a few bucks, I will, as long as functionality isn't sacrificed

If anyone has any idea if these pressure fittings will be okay please let me know. There is no waste water coming through these pipes whatsoever. All air

The code Specifically says that you SHALL use dwv [drain,waste,vent] fittings when you are installing drains or vents.
You will flunk your inspection.
You will also flunk because the horizontal vent pipe is installed level
It SHALL drain back to the fixture which it serves
This is because a vent condensates, and the condensate needs to get out of the pipe

It's far from level. It has a 2 inch slope believe it or not. I'll just swap the fittings out. Thank you

The way you do that is using a framing speed square
mark the center of each stud
then measure from the top plate down , start at your low end
mark at 12'' next stud, 12 1/4 next 12 1/2
after you drill the holes..stuff the pipe in the holes using short sections
and couplings

that notch corner you drill it
a 1 1/2 - 90 can be fitted into that corner with it drilled using a 2 9/16 bit

Well I picked up this project part done when I bought this house. I assume the king studs are hacked like that because they are only part of a false wall. Non load bearing. After personal inspection, I found that all the visible studs are only extensions of the existing studs solely for making space for the pipe. I'm a guitar maker, not a home builder, but it makes sense to me and is adaptable. My studies on plumbing are what lead me here. The fittings seem wrong, BUT holding a pressure fitting, standard 90 elbow, and a VENT elbow in hand, the pressure and the vent 90 are almost identical internally. Vent elbow being allowed in vent pipe above flood level, I had to know more about why it wouldn't work in inspection. I appreciate all responses. I'm new, although I've been studying for quite a while. I want to learn everything I can

Its hard to see in the photos but the 2x3 studs are drilled and counter sunk to the existing studs.

I value the input of the experienced plumbers. I want it do be right and understand why .

Skot pearson, the king studs & cripple studs are not in a "false wall" in the photo Frodo zoomed in on where he showed the notches & pipe above a window. The king studs are the ones that go from floor to ceiling on either side of the window to bear the most weight & support the structure & keep the wall from bowing. The cripple studs are to bridge between the window & they sit on top of the header & below the window. Looks like you don't even have a proper header above that window. There should be jack studs on the insides of the king studs to support the header, it can't just be nailed in like it is or there won't be stability for the window. This is how it should be done:
window-framing-1e.png

Yes those are false wall studs. 2x3s stood directly in front if the exterior wall studs. Non load bearing. If you look at the photo, behind the false wall you can see the window header.
It's hard to see but notice that it's all insulated BEHIND the 2x3s. The wall framing behind the false wall is correct.

Ohhh, now I see that there's stuff behind the wall studs. durr. Ok. Now I get what you mean.
I love Frodo's paracord stuff. It's awesome.
Nice guitars and cool cabinet!

Back