Battery backup for outdoor sump pump (that is protecting the basement)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbb526

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a half-basement on slab in the house we recently moved in (built in the 60s). It has an outdoor sump pump that is pumping out the water around the foundation of the basement. We are looking to put in a new pump, and also add a high water alarm and battery backup. But because the pit is deep and outdoors, I couldn't find any information on how the electrical should be done.

The sump pit is in the backyard and about 6 ft from the basement wall. The pit is 8 ft deep, and the bottom of the pit where the pump sits is about 3 ft below the basement floor.

Seems that normally, one would have an outdoor outlet on a post next to the sump pit, and plug the pump in. But if I want to have a battery backup, we are in north Indiana so the backup battery probably should be indoors? And I'd like the high-water alarm to be indoors as well so we can hear. How can we do that? For the backup, I am leaning towards adding a secondary dc/ac backup pump, but a battery backup for the primary pump might also be okay if that's easier (something like the Pump Sentry).

One specific idea I had: Can we get pumps (primary ac, and backup dc) with cords long enough to reach inside the basement? 15 ft will probably do, 20 ft will be plenty. Then all the battery etc can sit inside the basement. The long cord is easy to get for the primary pump, but would that be a problem for the dc pump? Also is it possible/okay to route those cords through the exterior wall into the basement to be powered by an indoor outlet?

I can't imagine this being a unique problem to our house.. but we already had one local company refuse to take this job, and another also seems to be struggling to provide a quote... What the previous owner had for the electrical was a big mess (which led to the failure of the old pump in a recent storm), so I would not share that configuration and want to hear your suggestions first.

Thank you so much!

You lost me at “outdoor sump pump” in Indiana.

Although I have seen a few used to drain a big wide low spot in a back yard.

You lost me at “outdoor sump pump” in Indiana.

Although I have seen a few used to drain a big wide low spot in a back yard.

Here are a few pictures:

This is the pit, 8 ft deep. The otherside of the wall is the half basement. Previously power is coming from the electrical panel in the basement, through the pull box in the picture, then into the pit (you can kind of see near the bottom left, inside the pit).

The yellow cord and hose is for the temporary utility pump I put in when the old pump failed.
1622479303229.png

Here's a picture of the old M53 I pulled out of the pit. Again the pit is 8 ft deep, and the pump sits about 3 ft below the basement floor, and whenever the water inside the pit gets higher than about 3 ft deep, the basement floods.

1622479562832.png

Yes, I am aware of sump pumps used for yard drainage - typically only a few ft deep, and with downspouts, catsh basin or french drains tied into it. But our pit/pump was clearly meant for the basement..

Thank you for your time!

I would suggest a duplex pump system if there’s room for it in the basin and a natural gas or propane standby generator with auto transfer switch.

Back