Bathtub dripping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigM

Reaction score
5FDD89E6-04B0-4D77-86AF-7F3095DCB5D6.jpeg Can anyone help?

I want to fix this constant drip

What sort of tools and parts do I need before I start

Please

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a beautiful shower skin defoliator, but maybe a pic of the faucet without that blue defoliator so we can see the type of faucet you have, and please tell us where it is leaking from?

Oops sorry. It was rushed this morning. And I knew I forgot something!

It is leaking from the tap

I'll get another pic ASAP

AF32132D-4865-4E0F-B1B5-3139D98716DE.jpeg Sorry second pic didn’t work?

MOEN for the temp control, one handle turning up and to the left for hotter

OS&B for the leaky faucet, should I rip it straight out or twist it counter clockwise? I don’t want a bigger problem
Lol

Generally speaking you will be taking apart the handle and replacing the guts (cartridge) inside the valve that’s behind it.

D0849F99-B9AB-4A6E-8A26-8163BD2921EA.jpeg This is as far as I can strip it

Allen screw in handle,remove.
Remove sleave.
Turn off water.
Drain to low point.
Remove horseshoe clip from top.
Rotate 45 deg.
Buy a moen posi temp cartridge.
Directions in cartridge packaging.

YouTube Moen shower valve repair. There are quite a few, and several are really good. My daughter, and her mechanically sterile mother, did the one at their house and only had to face time me once. They had to pull it back apart, because they put the cartridge in 180-degrees out of whack, and it had th hot and cold reversed. Which is just about the only thing you can get wrong. A Moen cartridge tool is really handy to have. And putting a liberal amount of plumbers grease on the cartridge makes it easier to get in, and lots easier to get out next time.

If you are not in a hurry, call Moen. Their faucets are guaranteed for life, and they will send you a new cartridge for free. Takes 3 or 4 days to arrive. Follow the directions above to disassemble and reassemble. Pretty simple to do.

I'm trying to remove the old cartridge but it won't work

The video says/shows to have the stem with the notched side faced up, but both sides are notched

it looks too easy, I think I pulled from every angle

Once you have the handle off and the trim ring removed, you have to remove a horseshoe shaped retaining ring that installs from the top of the brass tube that holds the cartridge. Once you remove that use the plastic tool that comes with the cartridge, and move it clockwise and then counterclockwise to loosen the cartridge from the tube. Then, simply pull straight out.

Thanks Jeff

I don't recall seeing a plastic tool. I'll show you the new pics I have thus far

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    897.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
In the first picture, I believe I see the top of the retaining clip (horseshoe shaped ring) just behind the white plastic. Using pliers, pull it straight up and out of the brass. That will allow you to remove the cartridge.

In the second picture, the plastic tool is located on the brass stem of the new cartridge. Take it off the new cartridge, and put it on the old cartridge, and use channel locks to try and turn the old cartridge clockwise and then counterclockwise to loosen it. Pulling might be easier if you reinstall the old handle screw partially into the stem, and pull on that screw with your channel locks. These days, I use the Danco cartridge puller to remove the cartridges, since it makes the job very easy. If you can't remove the cartridge just by using the channel locks as I have described, you can buy the cartridge puller at the orange or blue big box stores.
Thanks Jeff

I don't recall seeing a plastic tool. I'll show you the new pics I have thus far

Latest posts

Back