Bathtub Drain Stopper & Strainer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp7221

Reaction score
Looking for some help figuring out what I have going on in a tub drain. I'm not a professional plumber - just trying to take care of some home projects myself.

Background: I'm trying to fix a tub that won't fill. There is a plate with a trip lever, but when I removed it there was nothing attached. I fished around behind there with a hanger and felt nothing moving around, so I assume someone removed it or never really installed it. I'm planning to replace that with a new plunger, which I think should be easy enough.

I also noticed the drain is missing a strainer, and want to fix that or install a new drain, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's in there right now. There's a crossbar at the bottom and a vertical piece up the middle - it looks to me like maybe the strainer used to be attached to this vertical piece but broke off, or maybe it was actually a pop up stopper that's now rusted in place?

Any guidance or tips would be appreciated - thanks.

IMG_20210228_162110 (1).jpgIMG_20210228_162110.jpgIMG_20210228_162120 (1).jpgIMG_20210228_162120.jpg

Looks like you are missing a lift-and-turn type of drain stopper, look on Google, you can buy those separately.
You don’t need a screen in the drain, IMHO.

That’s a lift and turn or a push and pull drain.

It has course threads most likely, not fine pattern if you try to replace the whole shoe strainer.

If you try what Jeff Handy is talking about there is also two different patterns to the post you seee in your drain right now. Large and small pattern.

Hardware stores sell the replacement with an adapter in it.,

Get a blank cover for the overflow.

Thank you both for the replies. Got a little sidetracked with another project but I think I follow what you're saying. The problem is that post in the middle is loose - it spins very easily - but I can't get it out. I have no idea how it's connected (a nut underneath?) but if I tried to attach a new stopper to it, it seems to me like it wouldn't work because of the spin.

Usually there’s a piece that protrudes up a little that helps hold the drain open when it’s in the open position.
Try grabbing that and not the post that’s spinning. Turn counterclockwise.

Latest posts

Back