Bathtub Drain Stopper Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmineg

Reaction score
Hi all -

Recently purchased a new home that was built in 1970. I'm having a hard time identifying the type of drain setup in my bathtub. Not home right now so cannot post pictures but hopefully my description will be sufficient.

The tub and surround is fiberglass. The bathtub drain has a trip lever and linkage in the overflow pipe. At the end of the linkage is a coil (not a brass stopper) so I assume there is a rocker arm in the waste arm. That is all fine and I'm familiar with that setup, however, in the tub there is a drain with no grate and no crossbars. So essentially in the tub all I see is the flange and then I can see down the drain and I see basically a flat surface that I can touch through the drain. The flat surface is maybe an inch or so down from the tub/flange. When I toggle the trip lever, the water does not stop. I'm confused because I assume with a rocker arm there would be some sort of pop-up mechanism in the tub, but there is none and I don't see how one would be activated since inside the drain there is nothing but a flat surface.

I hope this all makes sense. I can post some pictures later to help. I'm wondering what type of drain setup I'm working with and once I have that figured out I can start to address the issue of the lever not holding water when engaged. Any thoughts on what type of assembly this is? If it is a popup style, am I missing something in the tub since there is no stopper and no grate? I don't see how a stopper and/or grate would be attached since there is no crossbar inside the drain.

Thanks in advance!

the stopper is missing. The linkage in over flow is most likely a spring on the end. The stopper is inserted into drain hole and the spring rocks the stopper open/close

imagesBNN7GLJU.jpg imagesEVSHIO12.jpg imagesNZFKVKJ3.jpg

Latest posts

Back