Bathtub drain blocked

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogo

Reaction score
I have used 3 different liquid products (at least 9 times in total) in the blocked drain of a 2nd story bathtub. The drain seems to unclog and flow well for a few minutes. Then, when I run water 10 minutes later, it’s almost completely blocked again and takes several minutes to drain. Sometimes a plunger opens it partially. This tub drain Is the only slow one. The house was built in 2016; I have lived here 6 weeks and don’t know the house yet. What is happening here?

Hair clogs in tub drains can often soften up and re-form right away.

Try plunging it with the tub at least half full of straight hot water.
All that hot standing water helps to push the clog, if you manage to weaken it.

And the plunger often works best on the UP stroke.

Get a good plunger, not a cheapo toy.

Press the plunger down, wait a few seconds, then pull up hard on the handle, straight up.
The suction is often more effective than trying to create pressure with a down stroke.

Plunge it.. In my experience plunging works half the time.. Remove the stopper, unscrew over flow plate and shove a wet towel in there to prevent air from escaping and plunge away. The clog might wash away or it might he brought up toward the stopper area

I've used this device successfully, after using a plunger, if the drain line is still only partially open. I've never used it for a tub, I'm thinking it would have to go down the overflow pipe & below the pipe opening for the ordinary tub drain. Pros here comment?

Drain-Cleaning Bladder

Drain.jpg

Plunge it.. In my experience plunging works half the time.. Remove the stopper, unscrew over flow plate and shove a wet towel in there to prevent air from escaping and plunge away. The clog might wash away or it might he brought up toward the stopper area
5 months old. Check dates before posting.

Latest posts

Back