Bathroom venting with studor vents

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie0286

Reaction score
I'm to far away from my main vent with my new bathroom. I would like to use studor vents to vent the whole bathroom. Do I need one at every p trap? There will be 4 fixtures. Toilet, double vanity, bathtub, and shower.Screenshot_20220120-104850_Gallery.jpg

If it’s piped like it’s drawn then you made a mess.

You’ll need to repipe the shower and lavatory. You can’t have a double vanity dumping into the fixture arm of a shower.

At the very least cut in a combo after the shower trap and vent it.

You’ll need studor vents for every fixture except the toilet. Don’t put a trap for the toilet.

You’ll need to repipe the shower and lavatory. You can’t have a double vanity dumping into the fixture arm of a shower.

You’ll need studor vents for every fixture except the toilet. Don’t put a trap for the toilet.

Thank you for your input. A friend of mine did the plumbing and made a mess of it. There is no trap at the toilet. So I should bring the vanity drain pipe over to the 3 inch toilet pipe?

If I'm reading your sketch correctly, it looks like your toilet is 13+ feet from the stack and is 3". And the shower enters this 3" line between the toilet and the stack. I'm thinking the toilet needs a vent in this case, but I bow to Twowaxhack's knowledge about venting and apparently it doesn't need a vent.

I meant to say tub. You can’t have your double vanity dumping into the trap arm for the tub.
The shower would need a studor vent.

You need at least one vent to the open air.

Thank you for your input. A friend of mine did the plumbing and made a mess of it. There is no trap at the toilet. So I should bring the vanity drain pipe over to the 3 inch toilet pipe?

No, you want the toilet the last fixture connecting. Everything else connects upstream and has studor vents or vents to open air.

I prefer open air vents. You need to add a vent between tub trap and where the double vanity connects.

Last edited:
It would be best if you made the toilet the last fixture on that branch. Meaning the shower would connect upstream of the toilet.

Right now it’s drawn that the toilet flushes past the tub.

If you can’t do that, run a vent to open air upstream of the toilet. That means the tub or the double vanity would be vented through the roof or revented. No studor.

I apologize for the horrible drawing but I'm doing it on my phone in a moving truck lol. This is the lay out of the bathroom which can't change. I can rip out the existing plumbing to make it work for the studor venting option. How would you run it Twowaxhack? Again I really appreciate your input

So there is a basement or crawlspace below ? How much room below ?

What else is coming down that main stack ? Fixture above it ?

There is a finished basement below. I have the sheet rock cut back 2 feet in the basement on the tub/shower side all the way to the main stack. There is a half bath in the room next to the new bathroom where the main stack is. Above that there is two more bathrooms on the second floor

I wouldn’t install the bathroom without running a new vent through the roof or revent in the attic to the main stack.

That’s too much plumbing above the new proposed bathroom.

It might work, it might not. So I wouldn’t do it.

If I have to I could vent out the side of the house on the vanity tub side and run it up outside the house above the roof line. That side of the house no one sees and is on a gable end

Back