Bathroom taps leaking underneath since I took out pop up assembly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicfreak

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to take out the stopper of the pop up assembly as I was tired of my hair clogging the drain. I watched some youtube vids and thought it would be EASY to do. NOT! Ever since it has been leaking underneath the taps. I don't know if it comes from one of the taps (I think it does?) or the centre where the clevis goes.

I should have paid more attention when I put it back together because I probably put the clevis backwards which made a huge leak. I then turned it around and after fiddling with it a few times it is still better but still leaks. I don't know why but it doesn't leak all the time. It's like something isn't line up properly inside the tap where the clevis rod inserts. I just turned the tap water on for 5 mins and nothing happened but it was leaking yesterday. That always happens. It can leak worse when I hook up the washing machine.

I never use the pull up lever so it's not an issue there.

If the suggestion is to take the tap off I'm scared to do that in case I don't put it back properly and cause more leaks!

I notice if I look up the drain underneath I can see the bathroom lights through a small hole but that doesn't explain why it only sometimes leaks.

I also found when I put the clevis behind the supply hose it didn't leak as bad. Don't know if it matters if the clevis is behind or in front of it.

Please advise what the issue is. I can't seem to find it on google/youtube when I search for pop up assembly install/repair. And anything else I find about leaks is to do with the supply lines or pipe and that isn't the issue. It all started after I took the pop up assembly apart. I really wish I didn't watch the youtube vids as all I had to do was unscrew the nut a little and unhook the stopper!

I would like to fix this myself if possible as I'm scared my landlord will get pissed off because he will know messed with it. Or is it possible if he looked at it he would not assume I did anything as if that's the case I'll ask him to fix it!

I've added pics below. Sorry if they aren't better quality. If you need better ones let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• bathroom sink.jpg
    bathroom sink.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 11
  • bathroom sink2.jpg
    bathroom sink2.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 12
  • bathroom sink5.jpg
    bathroom sink5.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Bathroom sink8.jpg
    Bathroom sink8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Bathroom sink9.jpg
    Bathroom sink9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Bathroom sink10.jpg
    Bathroom sink10.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Bathroom sink11.jpg
    Bathroom sink11.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Bathroom sink14.jpg
    Bathroom sink14.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Bathroom sink15.jpg
    Bathroom sink15.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Bathroom sink14.jpg
    Bathroom sink14.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Is it leaking at the top of the sink where the supply lines hook up or is it leaking at the nut where the rod
goes into the pop-up assembly.

You probably have multiple possible leak sources down there.

The hot side of the faucet is totally corroded, and has been dripping for a long time.

When you worked on the pop up assembly, you might have put pressure on the drain or p trap, or slip nuts, which might be rusting out.

You might have assembled the lifting rod the wrong way, there is often a little hard plastic washer that falls out or gets put in backwards.

Post some pics of the drain, tailpiece, p trap, all the under sink drain pipes.

And a pic of the faucet from above.

It might be time to replace the whole thing.

Is it leaking at the top of the sink where the supply lines hook up or is it leaking at the nut where the rod
goes into the pop-up assembly.

It's leaking at the top underneath the sink. I can't remember if it's coming directly from the tap where the supply lines go into (I think so) or the centre where the clevis is. It's not leaking from the nut.

This is all to do with the pop up assembly/clevis being put back wrong.

I'm going to run the water again.

Last edited:
You probably have multiple possible leak sources down there.

The hot side of the faucet is totally corroded, and has been dripping for a long time.

When you worked on the pop up assembly, you might have put pressure on the drain or p trap, or slip nuts, which might be rusting out.

You might have assembled the lifting rod the wrong way, there is often a little hard plastic washer that falls out or gets put in backwards.

Post some pics of the drain, tailpiece, p trap, all the under sink drain pipes.

And a pic of the faucet from above.

It might be time to replace the whole thing.

I've taken away and added other pics.

The sink was replaced about 5 years ago and hasn't leaked since. I'm pretty sure the hot side of the faucet that's rusting was from before but I don't know anything about replacing sinks. Can you add a new sink without replacing that part or does it come with a new one?

My feeling is I assembled it the wrong way (had the clevis backwards) and the washer got moved. I always felt something like that was the problem. How do I get at this? Take the faucet off? And how hard is this considering I didn't do well putting the pop assembly back properly!

Thanks.

I just ran the hot and cold each for 5 mins. and no leaks when it was leaking yesterday. I moved the lever up and down too which I don't think has anything to do with it as I don't use it.

What causes it to only occasionally leak (well it's more than occasional, it's off and on)? Is it because the washer isn't quite and the water flow makes it move allowing a leak? I just had the taps on full blast again and nothing happened.

This is driving me nuts. The place I'm in has sold and I'd like it fixed for the new owners.

Last edited:
You may have made a mistake when you mentioned replacing the sink.

I was saying you might need to replace the faucet, which would normally also include a new sink drain with pop up, and new water supply lines.

And maybe a new trap or other pipes leading into the connection at the back wall.

Are you the owner selling this property, or a renter?

If renting, let the landlord or seller worry about it.

@Jeff Handy

I meant the faucet was replaced 5 years ago, not the sink.

The trap/pipes aren't the issue. It's all coming from beneath the taps somewhere. As I said I think it may come from directly below the tap but I'm not sure. Could also be the centre. If the pop up assembly is off I don't know if it would just affect the centre and not the taps at all. Can you tell me? If it only affects the centre then it's not coming from the taps. There were 100% no leaks before this all happened.

I'm a renter but I wanted to try and fix it myself since I goofed it up.

So there is nothing I can do underneath? The faucet would have to be taken off?

It honestly didn't occur to me that they was a right and wrong way to attach the clevis. I should have taken a pic before I took it apart so I knew it's correct position.

Stop fooling with it, just let the landlord handle it.
You seem to be unqualified, don’t make it worse.

Thanks. I appreciate your help but I'm asking questions to better understand what the problem is. I wish you would have answered them even if you think they're trivial.

Don't worry, I'm not about to take the faucet off myself.

Over and out.

Your questions and descriptions were vague, imprecise, and hard to follow, which is not your fault, but that is why I advised you to stop, and let the landlord or owner take over.

Sometimes telling someone what they don’t want to hear can be hard to take.

There are so many possible sources of your leaks, and so many possible fixes, you should either call in a pro and pay out of your own pocket, or step back from the situation.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the faucet itself is leaking only when used or the seal between the faucet and sink isn’t water tight snd the OP could be getting water up there snd then it runs under the faucet.,
The aerator may not be tight. To tighten turn it counter clockwise.

Back