Bathroom smell

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professor229

Reaction score
Just some background facts and then a question..... 1960s rambler house in decent shape.... lots of updates and improvements..... one addition which is a super size bedroom with its own very nice bathroom that was done before we moved here.... the bathroom has a distinct odor that seems to be getting worse but does "go away" for a week or two at a time.... I googled the problem because I am pretty sure I am going to hear "sewer gas" problems... ..... And I wanted to read about possible sources and solutions..... Most forums I read said the same thing.... 99% sure it is a broken toilet ring or pipe under the toilet.....

Now... whoever installed this bathroom went for "prettiness" instead of functionality.... meaning there is not much for access.... It looks more like a motel room bathroom than a residential bathroom.... I would not know where to start so I told my wife (it's her bathroom!!!) to call a plumber.... I suspect the sewer gas is coming from under the toilet??? and that would need to be removed to check on it????

Is there something I should try before calling a plumber? Advice? and no... I have done a ton of "covid projects" in the last year but I am tired of this and don't want another project....... Is my best bet to try to find a local plumber and let him have at it???

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.....THANKS!!!

Dennis

Setting a toilet can be really easy or a nightmare. One where your thinking "this toilet didn't leak for years, why does it keep leaking?"

If you want to try to reset your toilet your can try, if you have problems call a plumber. Or come back here and see if someone has some tips for you.

There can also be a sewer gas problem with a bad connection in the shower or bath drain.

Also could be mold or rot from water leaking somewhere.

Or could be a broken drain or loose fitting under the bathroom, letting waste water leak out and pool under it.

If the tub or shower don’t get used enough, the trap can dry out and release gas.

Could also be a bad connection in any of several vent lines behind the walls.
Or a penetration from a nail or a screw into a vent pipe.

Weather can affect how much stink builds up.

Air pressure and humidity can affect it.

There could be an aav vent under the sink, which might be defective.

Sometimes an aav is built into the wall somewhere, then covered over, and it goes bad and releases stink.

Is there a crawlspace or basement under this bathroom?

Changing the toilet wax seal sounds like a good place to start.

If the smell is still there, a smoke test might reveal a leak in the drains or vents.

Latest posts

Back