bathroom sink overflow drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rutgers73

Reaction score
I have a bathroom sink that's leaking from the overflow drain. It's old? Installed 20 yrs ago by the plumber from hell. The overflow is NOT built-in. It somehow goes from the overflow opening in the sink to a opening on the sink drain via a vinyl plastic tube. It is attached at the drain by zip ties. The attachment at the overflow is an issue since it became disengaged. I cannot figure out how it was done nor how to fix the problem. The drain attachment is unusual. Inside the drain it's slotted to allow overflow to drain out. 1) what's up? No plumber or plumbing supply can tell me what I have or what I can do. Can I forget the overflow, plug it and somehow disengage the drain holes? Can I remove the drain overflow and replace it with a new normal sink drain? Can anyone tell me I am not crazy and acknowledge that I have something unusual.

my problem 1] overflow drain is NOT built-in. Is anyone aware of how to go from overflow hole to drain tie-in? 2] frodo I can plug drain hole with your suggestion. or plug with something else. Drain tie-in is not round but oval? Can I remove sink drain and pipe with overflow notches and replace with regular sink drain and pipe? remmber overflow tie-in is built into the sink drain with pipe recepticle.

sink_cut_out_2.png

sink cut out dimensions
measure your sink, see if you can make it work with out a bunch of extra work

measure the outer dimension of your sink, then subtract 1/2'' that should be close to the existing cutout
then find a sink that is close

Back