Bathroom sink faucet screw won't open

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skald89

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the cartridge for the bathroom sink. When I turn it to hot the water spouts out from under the handle. I tried using a screwdriver to open it by hand it wouldn't turn. With my drill it would only strip the screw, even with a flathead attachment. Im not sure what to do to open it at this point. Any tips?

This was installed and hasn't been touched in over 15 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_221144119.jpg
    IMG_20200328_221144119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200328_221150615.jpg
    IMG_20200328_221150615.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200328_221157470.jpg
    IMG_20200328_221157470.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200328_221159677.jpg
    IMG_20200328_221159677.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
You have a few choices. One is to use a fresh, new Phillips screwdriver and try unscrewing with it. Another choice is to use a Dremel, cutting a flat slot, then using a flat head screw driver, or the 3rd option, which is my own personal choice, is to get a screw extractor kit, like shown below, use a drill, insert the one end of the extractor, then use the other end in reverse and it will rip out that screw quickly. ontel-speed-out-specialty-drill-bits-1000367-64_400_compressed.jpg

EDIT: My grouchy opening sentence has been deleted.

Your screw looks to be a combination screw, there seems to be a straight slot in there.

Your faucet pic looks to be Delta type, if I am right then you will need a Delta rebuild kit.

That big half dome under the plastic handle has to be unscrewed, typically with a large Channel-locks type of pliers.
Grab it where you see a ribbed edge.

Then you can replace the springs and rubber seals, and also the metal ball with a shaft that attaches to your plastic faucet handle.
Plus whatever new bits are in the package.
Put some plumber’s silicone valve grease in a thin layer onto everything in there.

Last edited:
Stainless screw into brass. Shouldn't freeze up, but then there's reality.
Before you go any farther, get some penetrating oil in there, that will hopefully loosen up the screw overnight.
Fingers Crossed

I have some bigger issue than the screw now. The popping started to leak. I doubt any plumber would come out now and not sure we want one to come. Is this something I could attempt to fix on my own or should we stop using the sink till the virus is over and have a plumber come?

Here are some pictures marking where the pipes leaks.

I am not a plumber. I started trying to fix the faucet that spurts out water when it turns to the hot side. The water spurts from under the handle into and then out from under it. Last night the pipes started to leak. It looks like it leaks from 4 places. The hose that attaches to the hot water drips. Three of the connections. Im willing to try it myself before we bring in a plumber and take the risk. We could go without the sink till this virus blows over.

Here are better pictures marking where it leaks. When I turn on the faucet, most of the water goes down the drain. Some of it leaks frm where the pipes connects under the sink, the two parts where the pipes connect, and the hose for the hot water. The hose for the hot water I'm not sure where the leaks starts for it. I just see water dripping down it and dripping down.

You're saying I should just replace the whole handle instead of using the warranty. If I leave that for last, how do I first fix the pipes that are leaking? Is it an issue that everything where the water hoses connect look rusted? This would be my first time doing something like this and its a good time to force myself to get it done. I don't have a wrench that is wide enough to wrap around the screw to tighten it.

Attachments

• Leak_1.jpg
    Leak_1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • Leak_2.jpg
    Leak_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200330_103239793 copy.jpg
    IMG_20200330_103239793 copy.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200330_103251891 copy.jpg
    IMG_20200330_103251891 copy.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here is the deal
If you want to do it yourself you need tools.

You mention warranty? is the faucet covered by a warranty?

If it is, remove the faucet and take it back.

You need a basin wrench, pliers, and a phillips head screwdriver

That thing is O L D and i dont think your going to be in the warranty time frame. Those are pretty generic and if me would be replaced. Lav faucets are not that much and you would get a new pop up drain. Maybe you could give it a go if you are locked down in the house.

Here is the deal
If you want to do it yourself you need tools.

You mention warranty? is the faucet covered by a warranty?

If it is, remove the faucet and take it back.

You need a basin wrench, pliers, and a phillips head screwdriver

Its glacier bay that has a lifetime warranty. HD takes care of it and sends any part I need for free. Im not sure if they would send me the whole faucet. I asked for multiple parts and they sent it, no questions asked.

My Delta faucet they sent me parts and when it didn't help they said they would send a whole new faucet. I asked resend parts which helped fix my issue. This is another faucet in our house.

Thank you. I will look at the parts and info after I finish work and can actually focus on it. It looks like something I could do on my own. the hardest things I think are the tight space and sealing with silicone.

Looking at this picture, I'd say there's a good chance that all that water you see has the one source and running down on the surface of the basin as well as the water line.

Trouble is, once you've slightly stripped a Phillips screw head not even the correct size Phillips will work. The exact size flat blade screwdriver MAY work.
IMG_20200330_103239793 copy.jpg

I tested it now with water from on outside source and from the faucet. I tried two tests. The first time when I poured water from a bottle it splashed a bit and I saw some leaking. I tried it a second time with a lot more water that filled the whole sink. There was no leak. Then I turned on the cold water, which started the leak again, and I turned off the hot water valve which didn't stop the leak. The leak comes from where Diehard is mentioning, that circle part that the hot water hose meets the faucet.

Thank you to whoever suggested using an external water source to test the leak. Right now I poured some vinegar over the screw, hoping it will helps loosen the screw a bit. Im going to reach out to HD to see if they would replace the whole faucet. If not then I guess my best option is to buy a replacement faucet and change all the stuff under the hot water side?

Attachments

• Leak_3.jpg
    Leak_3.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
I bought this MOEN faucet. There are two issues I ran into so far.
  1. The drainpipe that comes with it is too long. What should I use to cut it to the right length?
  2. The rod for the lift rod is also too long to go in because of how close the wall is to the pipe. Even the previous one barely fit and it scratched up the wall. Im not sure how to fix this part

The pop-up rod you can take a hack saw and cut a little off so it won't hit your wall. The pipe coming out
of the pop-up can also be cut to the length you need. Either use a hacksaw or if you have a pipe cutter
that goes up to 1 1/4".

I bought this MOEN faucet. The issue I ran into now is that the plastic that your screw in to mount it to the faucet won't close fully. The inset area seems to tight that the screw won't fit in it. I am talking about the screws they have labeled as 1 in this diagram.

Attachments

• 65c29446-b9b2-5197-a12f-ccf290c3fdc3.jpg
    65c29446-b9b2-5197-a12f-ccf290c3fdc3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back