Bathroom Sink Faucet Leaking Water When On

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYDude

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I need your help!

My bathroom faucet (cold water) is leaking out water whenever I turn it on. I'm sure the rubber seal has worn out. I would like to replace it.

First I need to shut off the water supply. But the water supply valves don't have a turning knob on them (see pics #3 down). Where do I purchase the correct knob for them? Home Depot? But how can I make sure I am buying the right one? I live in a pre-war building (1928). I'm not sure the sink had ever replaced before I moved in.

The fourth pic shows the water hoses connecting to the faucet set. I assume I need to disconnect the hoses in order to get to the section where the rubber seals located? Actually I would like to replace the faucet set if it is DIYable. There is very little room to move around disconnecting the hoses. What special tool do I need for that?

Please advise! Thanks!

Attachments

• Sink_Resized.jpg
    Sink_Resized.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Faucet_Resized.jpg
    Faucet_Resized.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Valve_Resized.jpg
    Valve_Resized.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Under Sink_Resized.jpg
    Under Sink_Resized.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 23
That’s a Delta faucet and the parts are readily available at most any hardware store.

The stop valves handles could be found but I can’t identify those for you.

It also appears part of the stop valve is inside the wall. That’s not typical.

The parts you need to replace are under the handles and are accessed from the top. There’s a set screw under the white lever that holds the handle on. Turn these countries clockwise to loosen the set screws.

Pull the handle straight up and off.

Then you’ll see the cartridge that’s held in by a chrome nut.

After the waters off remove the nuts counter clockwise.

Pull the cartridge straight out.

Remove the rubbber seat and spring once the cartridge is out.

Install new spring and seat. Install new cartridge in the same orientation as the old one that came out.

Replace retainer nut.

Replace handle

Turn water back on

Watch this video. This will show you the steps to complete your repair. It uses the same parts as your faucet does.

This will correct your current problems and keep you from having a dripping faucet like in the video in the near future.

The faucet will basically be new again.

Thanks for all the replies. I can't do anything until I can stop the water supply first. How do I find the right water supply valve handle?

Go buy a few and see if they fit.
Would you recommend Home Depot as a starting point to shop for the valve handle? I was looking online there are a lot different types. I assume I need one for the indoor water stop valve? I am seeing there are ones for the outdoor water valves.

I found the screw and tried to use a hex key to loose it. It doesn't work. But looking at it closely. It doesn't look like a hex key can loosen it. What is it?

Attachments

• Faucet Screw_Resized.jpg
    Faucet Screw_Resized.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 17
I am assuming you live in a multi resident building and you cant shut the main water off. You need a handle for a angle stop. I am not sure if that is a Brass Craft stop. You could put a small pair of channel locks on it and carefully shut it off.

It is Brass Craft stop valve. I had to buy a Brass Craft multi-turn angel valve (1/2 in nom sweat inlet and 3/8 in od comp outlvet) from Home depot. Its handle fits right on the stop valve under my bathroom sink. However, I couldn't turn it with my weak hand. :(

I plan to buy a can of WD40 and try to loose it again.

Back