bathroom sink drain too short

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

771subliminal

Reaction score
on my bathroom sink the drain broke so i went to lowes and bought a new drain kit. the peice that came in the kit is too small i cant screw in the nut that holds the drain tight to the sink, (i have no issue withe connecting it to the elbow). every part i find in stores is too short as wel.l i measured the one peice that was in the sink before and its 3 inches from the drain from inside the sink to the bottom of the threads. do you know of any brand that would have longer threads?

They make extensions (tail piece, I believe) which can be found at most big box hardware stores. Are you going to a Lowe's or Home Depot?

There is a piece that screws right in on the top and there is also a nut on the bottom that you can back off to give you more length before you push it up through the hole in the sink. If that's what you are talking about....

Central Plumbing | Plumber Albuquerque - Rio Rancho and surrounding areas.

you have the right idea but i looked at the ones that unscrew on top side of the hole but it also doesnt give enough threads either to screw onto. also most of the ones i have found dont unscrew on the top side anyway.

Not sure what your asking. A picture would help.

John

i dont have the old part right now my dad took it to see if he could find one that would work at the local plumbing stores but i will try and take a pic of under the sink to show the lack of threads to screw onto when i get over to the house

They make extensions (tail piece, I believe) which can be found at most big box hardware stores. Are you going to a Lowe's or Home Depot?

i went to lowes and they had no clue only knew of the parts that they sold that didnt work, my dad went today to a few of the plumbing stores and had no luck either.

looks like i might need to buy a new sink which i really dont want to right now

Are you dealing with metal, PVC or ABS fittings under your sink? I've never heard of someone having to replace a sink just because they were unable to purchase a specific drain pipe.

i went to lowes and they had no clue only knew of the parts that they sold that didnt work, my dad went today to a few of the plumbing stores and had no luck either.

looks like i might need to buy a new sink which i really dont want to right now

I can't think of any reason why you should have to buy a new sink. Post that picture and some one will be able to help you out.

John

here are pics of under the sink now with the new peice install showing the lack of threads to screw onto and also pics of the old one that was taken out
2011-11-02152239.jpg

2011-10-31091155.jpg

2011-10-31091117.jpg

2011-10-31091039.jpg

It looks like you will need a sink drain kit, which normally comes included with a new faucet. If you were to bite the bullet and get a new faucet as well, it should button up with no problems. If you were to only want to purchase the threaded tail piece, then you will need to go to a plumbing house with lots of inventory.

It looks like you will need a sink drain kit, which normally comes included with a new faucet. If you were to bite the bullet and get a new faucet as well, it should button up with no problems. If you were to only want to purchase the threaded tail piece, then you will need to go to a plumbing house with lots of inventory.

i picked up a new drain kit that is the one that is installed in the pic and in my sink once i put the rubber seal on i dont have any threads left to screw on the nut

Last edited:
Back