Bathroom sink drain replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff has a lot of good suggestions as always. The way that I would do this is to cut between the 45 coming out
the wall and the 45 that you cut in half and then go to Lowe's and buy an 11/2" socket saver and then ream that
45 coming out the wall and put in a 11/2" x 1 1/4 fitting trap adaptor and then put in a regular tubular 11/4 p-trap with
slip nuts. This is just the way that I would do it. There maybe more good suggestions..... Whomever installed that
drainage for that lavatory does not do it everyday like most of us here.

Tom, I agree that using a socket saver and building all new would be ideal.

I was just suggesting the quick and dirty rubber elbow based on what seems to be a lack of plumbing or mechanical skills, no offense to the OP or anyone else.

Yes, it might clog up with hair every few years, but is easily pulled off to yank out the crud.

Jeff you misunderstood me. You had a good idea and you always come up with good suggestions. I was
just suggesting another way.

Hi Tom, your socket saver method definitely would be better.

I did not misunderstand, I was just offering a zero skill level option, since that seems to be where we are at here, no offense intended to the OP.

Anyway, I am done with this thread, it is hurting my feeble brain, haha!

I am in the process of replacing my bathroom sink faucet and I am replacing the drain piece as well. Unfortunately I cannot remove the p-trap effectively because all the connections are glued. I've attached a picture of the setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ok OP......I know you’re finished now but let me tell you what you should’ve done.,

First off if the metal pop up in the pic was in good condition and was the proper finish then it would’ve been best to leave it. It’s a Delta and one of the best pop up assemblies ever built.

However you wanted to change it. I understand that. Now your new pop up is plastic (frown). It’s not as well built by a long shot. It also doesn’t have a threaded tailpiece, it’s molded into the drain.

No worries, you had room to cut below the pvc trap adapter on the vertical 3/4” above the connection entering the p-trap.

This would facilitate room to install the plastic pop up.

You simply slide the pvc trap adapter you cut off with nut onto the plastic extension of the pop up.
Use a PVC coupling and solvent weld it to the 3/4” piece of 1.5” pvc sticking up out of the ptrap.

Install the pop up with the trap adapter on it.....

Now put some glue on the pipe and the hub of your coupling and push straight down and give it a little twist.

The plastic extension can be cut if it’s too long.

Or you could throw the plastic pop up away like I do and use a Delta metal pop up like you had originally.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Should’ve cut here and left 3/4” of pipe sticking out of the trap. Or used a Delta metal pop up that comes apart.
9C649BE0-7940-4828-BBA3-16D928399608.jpeg

Latest posts

Back