Bathroom shut off valve connection type?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDoug

Reaction score
Bathroom shut off valve connection type?

Hi, I want to replace my bathroom shut off valve. Attached is a picture of the shut off valve. I don’t think it’s the Threaded kind that’s attached to a nipple. Is it a sweat connection? The pipe going from the wall to the shut off valve is silver, not copper. Could it be Chrome covered Copper pipe and sweated to the shut off valve? Could it be threaded and I just don’t see any threads exposed? The house is from 1978. I just moved in so I don’t know much about the inner workings of the House’s plumbing.A68559F4-7440-4AEE-9B6B-79F1D6D29967.jpeg81DF7C0C-09B9-4D6B-8445-2FFBD49633C6.jpeg

To me it looks like a soldered connection (a real clean one). Seems there's a little poking out, but it's tough to tell. The end of those shut-offs look like the sweat type, not the threaded variety. Threaded ones usually have a thicker nut-looking end.

Either way, you should be able to turn it, and find out. I'd imagine those are chromed-brass nipples in the wall. Can you peek in there with the escutcheon pulled away from the wall at all to confirm? Get your phone angled in there for a pic if you can't see directly.

If they are threaded in the wall, that'd make replacing them easy enough. You could just get replacement nipples, and thread in both connections with threaded stops.

It’s a sweat connection behind the escutcheon. I’ve seen Steve Lavimoniere on YouTube put them on.1D1BB581-3ADA-469A-856F-8E45DBB28DED.png

You can buy a valve like he linked to, and just unscrew the guts behind the oval handle and swap the whole insides out.

Last edited:
If you were asking what type of valve it was yes, it’s soldered a the wall, the connection with the Teflon tape is a 3/8
Compression connection that bell escusion hides the soldered copper

Back