Bathroom remodel needing advice on diverters for tub filler, hand wand and shower head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauline.fontenot

Reaction score
We hired a contractor to expand our current master bath into the smaller 3rd garage by 3 x 10 feet. We are installing a large soaking tub, that will be a tub/shower combo. With that in mind, I'd like a shower head, sliding hand wand as well as a tub filler with hot and cold knobs.

Is it possible to be able to run any of these 3 componants with only 2 converter valves?
One to switch between the wand and shower head and another to have the tub filler in use? I know little to nothing about plumbing, but now that I have this down on paper, I don't think this is right.

I'm trying to figure what pieces are necessary to purchase and what my cost will be before the new plumbing is added so I can make adjustments now, if necessary.
Thank you all!!
Pauline

You can do this with a single diverter and a transfer valve. They can come as two separate valves or as a single combo valve. I opted to have them seperate in my shower.

Here is an example of a single combo.

1675382756702.png

You as well.

I will recommend though to hire a licensed plumber to do the plumbing if your contractor is not licensed. I know a lot of great contractors who are very competent, knowledgeable and respectable. But they are not licensed plumbers nor are they as experienced in the field. They sometimes miss very important criterias in plumbing. If you look at some of the discussions on this site as someone who had a contractor install shower and did not add a trap. This is plumbing 101 and will cause them to get sick if they do not address it right away due to sewer gas. Please take caution and hire a licensed plumber.

We went through a similar search, so I hope this helps.
We wanted 3 devices, but also wanted volume (pressure) control and the ability to leave the temperature set between uses. I don't know if this will suffice, but Grohe makes a few that may fit your needs. The valves and the thermostatic element are in one housing.

An example is Grohe Grotherm 2914200
I'll try to explain below, but Grohe has lots of sales propaganda & videos to explain better.

It has 3 buttons, one for tub, shower, hand-held- or any combination of "on at the same time". Or, any other devices, including Grohe's rather odd two-in-one shower head.

The On-Off for each device is a separate push button and the volume (pressure) for each is set by turning that button. Temperature is universal for all three. It is dialed in with a single knob and can be left as-is between uses.
The installer can set the temperature stop of the knob at any given number. (For example: 100 degrees-F). But, there is an override button the user can push to turn the temperature higher while using it. I set ours to my preferred temp of 104-F without pushing the override. Pushing th eoverride & turning gives hotter water.

It is thermostatically controlled, so if someone uses water in a different sink, the temp at the shower stays the same. (We tested and it works instantly. Never noticed the other water was on.) Downside? Thermostatic elements costs more. Upside? Lifetime warranty & free shipping.)

The device gets mounted in a Rapido Smart Box. There are dozens of trims for the Rapido. (Round, square, 2 device, three...)
The box itself is tapped 1/'2" F-NPT so you can use copper, PEX, cpvc, brass, IPS...

Half inch had me wonder about tub filling.
I tested the gallons-per-minute of the 2914200 at 46 psi without shower heads installed: (Most piping is 1/2" Type L copper, but the overhead tubing has a 10" section of 1/2" Type A PEX with expansion fittings. All but two copper elbows are 45 + Street 45. Two are 90 to the side shower. Overhead is straight shot except for a 3/8" offset of PEX to dodge misaligned framing.)

The one we want fast, the tub, gave 5-1/2 gpm through a temporary boiler drain on the pipe. An open pipe or tub spout would
give considerably more gpm than through the globe type boiler drain.
The center (overhead shower) arm was 6-1/2 gpm without the shower head
The left (hand shower) outlet was 5-7/8 gpm through a temporary hose bibb.
(You don't have to put the devices in the order we have them. You can swap around. One gets lots of icons for the buttons.)

The Rapido Smart Box has much higher GPM open-pipe, so different trims than the 2914200 may give more or less flow.

The Rapido was easy to install and came with helpful extras, like a flushing plate and a tile waterproofing membrane. The valve itself was quite confusing until I watched some videos. Then it was easy. (Before looking at the cartoon instructions, look at HandyDadTV on you tube for "We installed a shower" and look at Grohe's video with the happy guy in the blue polo shirt. Then the instruction pages will make sense.)

One Problem: Ours has a Clunk sound when turning water off. After installing water hammer arresters and some calls to Grohe, someone there decided it was the thermostatic cartridge. They are sending a replacement. Installation should take about 10 minutes.

A Hint You May or May Not Like:
I installed the valve with the on-off buttons 35" above the tub floor. It is convenient for reach while showering and while kneeling next to the tub for washing my dog buddy. But, that height also lets one reach the controls while seated in the tub. (Plan B: Want more water in tub while seated? Push the button with a toe.)

I hope this helps.
Paul

You as well.

I will recommend though to hire a licensed plumber to do the plumbing if your contractor is not licensed. I know a lot of great contractors who are very competent, knowledgeable and respectable. But they are not licensed plumbers nor are they as experienced in the field. They sometimes miss very important criterias in plumbing. If you look at some of the discussions on this site as someone who had a contractor install shower and did not add a trap. This is plumbing 101 and will cause them to get sick if they do not address it right away due to sewer gas. Please take caution and hire a licensed plumber.

Thank You Dmmsr for this very important reminder!

A contractor did the no-trap thing at my wife's parents' home. The shower drain took a quarter bend and dumped into the 12" tall crawl space. I found it while down there for a different repair. What a project it was to correct that and vent it properly.

Also, sometimes non-professionals don't know not to run PEX to a tub spout when there is an overhead shower, causing water to run out of the shower head while filling the tub. This is important on many shower valves.

We went through a similar search, so I hope this helps.
We wanted 3 devices, but also wanted volume (pressure) control and the ability to leave the temperature set between uses. I don't know if this will suffice, but Grohe makes a few that may fit your needs. The valves and the thermostatic element are in one housing.

An example is Grohe Grotherm 2914200
I'll try to explain below, but Grohe has lots of sales propaganda & videos to explain better.

It has 3 buttons, one for tub, shower, hand-held- or any combination of "on at the same time". Or, any other devices, including Grohe's rather odd two-in-one shower head.

The On-Off for each device is a separate push button and the volume (pressure) for each is set by turning that button. Temperature is universal for all three. It is dialed in with a single knob and can be left as-is between uses.
The installer can set the temperature stop of the knob at any given number. (For example: 100 degrees-F). But, there is an override button the user can push to turn the temperature higher while using it. I set ours to my preferred temp of 104-F without pushing the override. Pushing th eoverride & turning gives hotter water.

It is thermostatically controlled, so if someone uses water in a different sink, the temp at the shower stays the same. (We tested and it works instantly. Never noticed the other water was on.) Downside? Thermostatic elements costs more. Upside? Lifetime warranty & free shipping.)

The device gets mounted in a Rapido Smart Box. There are dozens of trims for the Rapido. (Round, square, 2 device, three...)
The box itself is tapped 1/'2" F-NPT so you can use copper, PEX, cpvc, brass, IPS...

Half inch had me wonder about tub filling.
I tested the gallons-per-minute of the 2914200 at 46 psi without shower heads installed: (Most piping is 1/2" Type L copper, but the overhead tubing has a 10" section of 1/2" Type A PEX with expansion fittings. All but two copper elbows are 45 + Street 45. Two are 90 to the side shower. Overhead is straight shot except for a 3/8" offset of PEX to dodge misaligned framing.)

The one we want fast, the tub, gave 5-1/2 gpm through a temporary boiler drain on the pipe. An open pipe or tub spout would
give considerably more gpm than through the globe type boiler drain.
The center (overhead shower) arm was 6-1/2 gpm without the shower head
The left (hand shower) outlet was 5-7/8 gpm through a temporary hose bibb.
(You don't have to put the devices in the order we have them. You can swap around. One gets lots of icons for the buttons.)

The Rapido Smart Box has much higher GPM open-pipe, so different trims than the 2914200 may give more or less flow.

The Rapido was easy to install and came with helpful extras, like a flushing plate and a tile waterproofing membrane. The valve itself was quite confusing until I watched some videos. Then it was easy. (Before looking at the cartoon instructions, look at HandyDadTV on you tube for "We installed a shower" and look at Grohe's video with the happy guy in the blue polo shirt. Then the instruction pages will make sense.)

One Problem: Ours has a Clunk sound when turning water off. After installing water hammer arresters and some calls to Grohe, someone there decided it was the thermostatic cartridge. They are sending a replacement. Installation should take about 10 minutes.

A Hint You May or May Not Like:
I installed the valve with the on-off buttons 35" above the tub floor. It is convenient for reach while showering and while kneeling next to the tub for washing my dog buddy. But, that height also lets one reach the controls while seated in the tub. (Plan B: Want more water in tub while seated? Push the button with a toe.)

I hope this helps.
Paul
Very helpful. Thank you.

You as well.

Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge and advise. He is also licensed as a plumber. He has built houses and other buildings from the ground up for 25 years with lots of satisfied clients. His plumbing is meticulous as with his cabinetry and his ability to put up plumb walls.
My question here was more so that I could understand better the process and products necessary for this project. Our hometown building supplies don’t carry some of the items necessary, so I am the gatherer. I don’t always understand his explanations, and I like to add knowledge to my gathering.
Thank you, again! 😊

Back