bathroom remodel, help with drains/vent in indiana

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05wrangler

Reaction score
hello everyone. I have been probing this forum for a while and have gotten some great info from it! now I have started remodeling one of my bathrooms and have a few questions on the drains/vent system and adding a new drain. let me start off by saying, I am by now way a plumber or an artists (as I will prove both these points in the drawings below). So I do not have a lot to offer back in the way of help. however I am an electrician (I know, sparky playing in water is never a good idea) by trade and will by more than happy the help anymore one with any electrical questions they might come across in there plumbing work. anyways. here is what I have going on. I have a full bath I am remodeling. it has one toilet, one sink, and one shower. all this ties to a 4 inch drain and utilizes a 1.5 inch vent, or at least its 1.5 inch when it comes into the bathroom. it looks larger when I sent up on the roof and capped it off to keep the rain out so I think it goes from 1.5 to maybe 3? in the attic then exits the house. there is no more items on this vent. down stream from this remodel is my kitchen drain but it has its own vent system. so along with what I have right now on my bathroom plumbing I would like to add another sink in the garage since they share a common wall if it is possible. all the plumbing drops down to a crawlspace below that is roughly 4 feet deep. the main drain sits about 3 feet to the floor in hangers. the house was built in 1966 and the original plumbing was done in cast and galvanized pipe so i have torn all this out and going back in PVC. I have attached some of my best masterpieces below of what I have and what im adding, and long with how the original plumbing was done and how I THINK I might be able to add this new sink and also correct some things I believe are wrong. so with out further ado....

the 1st drawing is layout drawing of my bathroom this drawing doesn't have a label. I have added the new garage deep sink in this drawing as well. the toilet sits closest to the west wall and is the last item on the drain system. next to the south is the shower. and then to the north would be the sink in the bath itself. nothing really to see in this photo other than note where the vent is.

the next photo without a label is the same one only with the layout of the drains under the floor as they where originally installed. The shower was orginally a 1.5 inch drain and i will be switching this two a two inch drain.

the next photo without a label gets a little busy but gives you guys a few measurment to things

the next drawing is how the original pluming was done in the crawlspace it is also labeled "drawing 1". so..

Drawing 1-

in the drawing a few things I am unsure of with the original install.
1-the shower is a 1.5 and not a 2 or 3.
2- the way it ties into the drain system using a wye and 12 inches after that is a 1/8 bent basically making it a combo fitting.

To my understanding this needs to be a min. of a 2inch here. so i am going to upsize this. now for #2, all that I have read says this will create a vent issue with this set up and instead should have been a Tee? or maybe its ok because of its location to the vent and the 12 inches between the fittings ? what do you guys think on this?

now we can also see that the vent is tied in with the sink then becomes what I was told is a "wet vent" into the main drain. they had a combo fitting just under the floor for clean out.

Drawing 2

drawing two is my 1st stab at how to go back with the new garage sink tied in. this idea would consist of (4) combo fittings in a row, each picking up a drain moving from north to south. the drawing is way out of scale as I had too have from to draw the branches coming off. I would install a clean out in the garage deep sink drain because I couldn't use a combo fitting like on the bath sink because it will be up against the wall. (see the layout drawings), I wouldn't be able to get the cap off to put a snake in). maybe this is not needed? I am also concerned this drain is to far away from the vent? also one thing to keep in mind with the garage deep sink, is that it turns down in the wall with a medium sweep 90, I am worried this would be close to a "S" trap design and cause the actual P trap to siphon? maybe not? as long as the p trap arm is long?

Drawing 3

drawing 3 I do not see working or being a good install. I would think id drawing 3 was ok to do then drawing two would be as well and a better install but what do you guys think? in this drawing the bath sink stays how it is, and the shower and garage deep sink tie in using a double 2 inch Tee, one being reduced to 1.5 for the garage. it would also have a cleanout at the top.

drawing 4

drawing 4 the only reason I did this is if the vent being to far from the garage was an issue this MIGHT fix it? but most likely causes more issues than anything. everything ties into the 2 inch double tee and the top is the bath sink/ "wet vent". then hit a 4inch wye with a cleanout on it. then into a 4 inch combo into the main drain.

drawing 5

drawing 5 is what I would think would work best if not drawing 2. this is assuming the vent isn't to far away from the garage sinks trap. this drawing still has the cleanout for the garage sink. is it legal to install the shower drain like this with it using a "wet vent"?

conclusion-
I think drawing 2 or 5 are the best that I have come up with for neat install and what I have been told would be up to code as long as the garage sink wasn't to far away. but I'm not sure for it is or if any of these ideas would will work correctly. I would think if if I would just tap into the vent in the attic nd run one over for the garage deep sink it would be ok and less trouble but I cannot access the vent pipe in the attic because the roof line is to tight and the north wall is an exterior wall. This keeps me from doing that. I have also heard of AAV's I wouldn't be apposed to using one in the garage if I need to, if someone would give me some information on location and height of installing one. it wouldn't be the end of the world to not have a deep sink in the garage but I have the walls and the plumbing opened up so I figured I would see if I can.

let me know what you guys think. I dont want to go through all this and it not be correct and have a draining issue or a trap siphoning. I was going to reinstall it the way it came out but did some research when I wanted to add the garage sink and had some questions. layout.jpg layout with plumbing.jpg layout with scale.jpg drawing 1.jpg drawing 2.jpg drawing 3.jpg drawing 4.jpg drawing 5.jpg again please excuse my ignorance on this matter and my horrible drawing skills. I tried to get the most accurate measurements but I am unable to get into the crawl at this time (recovering form surgery thank you all very much in advance

Jake

So I came here to ask almost the same thing and I see your post has 0 replies and has been sitting here almost a year... Guess that answers my question LOL

There was way too much to cover to try to start teaching plumbing off a few hard to read drawings.

Back