Bathroom Faucet Dripping Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky2022

Reaction score
I have two bathroom faucets with the same water dripping issue. From my reading online, it sounds like I just need to replace a leaky washer & seat (maybe) on either one of both knobs. But my plumber advised me to replace the whole unit. For now, I'm putting the plumber's recommendation on the back burner until I figure out if I can swap the worn-out gasket/cartridge.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could walk me through this process of disassembling the Knob.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would guess that perhaps the faucet you have isn’t a higher quality brand, and it will be difficult to find parts to repair it. Just because it looks like an old globe valve, doens’t mean it is, you may find plastic cartridges.

My advice would be find a quality replacement unit, and then try rebuilding the one you have. If you fail, you can then install the new faucet.

But, I’m an hour from the”local” ACE, and two and a half or three hours from the closest big box Home center. So it changes my perspective.

Thanks for your kind reply. For sure, it's an old faucet design, but the previous house owner paid a couple of hundred dollars for it. Indeed I saw one similar to this design online for about $300 ( Crazy !).
I live in the city, so all hardware stores are within a few miles radius. But I want to know how to replace the plastic cartridge on this knob.
Thank you!

I have two bathroom faucets with the same water dripping issue. From my reading online, it sounds like I just need to replace a leaky washer & seat (maybe) on either one of both knobs. But my plumber advised me to replace the whole unit. For now, I'm putting the plumber's recommendation on the back burner until I figure out if I can swap the worn-out gasket/cartridge.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could walk me through this process of disassembling the Knob.
Those are good quality Delta faucets.

The set screw is 3/16” I believe and they unscrew counterclockwise.

Once they’re loose, you pull straight up on the entire handle.

Underneath the handle you’ll find a cartridge retainer nut.

It unscrews counterclockwise. You may need to hold the entire valve to keep it from turning if it’s not tight enough to the lavatory.

Once the nut is removed, grab the brass stem and pull straight up to remove it.

Then you’ll see a rubber seat and under that will be a cone shaped stainless steel spring. Big end goes down into the faucet first then the seat cup fits over it.

New stems go back in the same way they came out.

It’s common delta parts, nothing special.

Good luck 👍

This may be your exact faucet, I’m not sure but it doesn’t matter, yours takes the same parts.

If you scroll down the page on this Delta link you will see many handle options for your faucet. You have the H27 handles on the right side of the page.

I’ve installed hundreds of them.

https://media.deltafaucet.com/PartsDiagram/Model_3577.pdf

I got sidetracked on this activity. So I pulled the screw out on the knob ( see pic), and I tried to pull straight upward on the nut to no avail. Not sure if it's frozen up or if I'm doing it wrong. Would you happen to have visual pictures or a youtube link on how to disassemble the Knob?

Thank you so much for your support.

Keep pulling up. You may need to squirt some WD-40 up under the handles, but twocatwax is correct, those handles will pull straight up once you have removed the little set screw.

Would someone verify from Knob/handle picture that I have removed the screw because I really don't want to make a mess. Thank you!

Would someone verify from Knob/handle picture that I have removed the screw because I really don't want to make a mess. Thank you!
I have verified it a couple times. That’s Delta with a single 3/32” set screw in the side that secures it to the stem.

Once the set screw is loosened enough the handle pulls straight up.

If it breaks then you’ll need new handles. I posted a link with the part number earlier in the thread.

I grandfather this unit from the previous owner, and the handle shows a missing screw. Which tells me that someone worked on it before. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I only see one empty hole for the missing screw.

The screw may be deep in the hole. Or it may be stripped. Or it may not be there at all.

I don’t know.

What I do know is that’s how it’s removed. 100% positive.

I was able to pull the nob out and replace both gaskets, but the water drip is still there. On top of that, I notice the water is dripping slowly from the shut-off valve. I guessed when I tried to tie up the nut around the brass, which caused the drip from the bottom.
Appreciate your support.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3177.jpg
    IMG_3177.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3178.jpg
    IMG_3178.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm adding more pictures . I went to Homedopt, and I bought the shortest line to swap the existing one. Currently, I'm having a hard time losing up the bigger nut on the line. I don't want to flunk my 101 plumbing task.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg