Bathroom Clog

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley@3348

Reaction score
While using my shower, the shower floor started to fill with water. water also started to rise up from the bathtub which is right beside the shower . I shut off the water and started looking for the issue.
1. I ran a snake down the shower drain, a 5' snake.
2. I ran a snake down the bathtub drain and also down the bathtub overflow.
The water did not go down.
3. I checked the vent on the roof. Nothing found.
4. I put baking soda and vinegar down both drains, let sit for 1 hour.
5. Ran the snake down the same three locations again, nothing.

Note: the double bathroom sinks and the toilet in the same bathroom function properly. The other bathtub, sinks, toilets and shower all work properly.

Please help.
Thank you,
Harley

You can buy a decent hand spinner type snake at HD for about $25.00.
1/4 inch thick cable.
25 feet long, and they work fairly well.
Here is one I bought because someone had borrowed my trusty Ridgid good one.
This HD Husky brand is ok, just don’t attach a drill to it, even though that is an option.

1/4 in. x 25 ft. Power Drum Auger

https://www.homedepot.com/p/301879459

Totally avoid any types that need to attach to a drill, your hands give better feedback to what the snake is going through.

But a 5/16 thick cable, which has a second internal core, is much more sturdy and reliable.
Hand spinner snakes with a cable like this are about $100.00 online from Ridgid, or maybe Amazon or plumbing supply online sites.
You will be using it again many times, and with care it will last for decades, just rinse it off outside and oil the cable after using it.

Last edited:
A five foot snake sounds like either a junky toy, or else a toilet auger, which is too thick to easily move through 2 inch drains for a shower or tub.

Thank you Geofd and Jeff for the information. You are correct Jeff, the only snake I have is a toilet auger. I will invest in a 25' one.
Thank you again,

When you are snaking, go in a foot or so while spinning the handle, then pull back about half that distance, then continue like that.
The push-pull helps to break up clogs, otherwise the snake might just drill a hole through it, which can seal right back up.

If the snake won’t advance at a certain point, just sit there and crank awhile.
If still blocked, try cranking counter-clockwise for awhile.

Avoid self-feeding types of hand spinner snakes, it is better to have your own control over that, with a thumb screw or a twist lock or other manual cable lock on the nose end of the spinner nearest the drain.

Snaking a drain is an art form, it takes practice and paying attention to what the snake is telling you through your hands.

If the snake begins to get too tightly wound, unwind it back, pull back a little while spinning either way, and start into that area again.

If the snake gets twisted on itself, it can be tough or impossible to remove without cutting holes in walls and pipes.
Not very common, but it happens, especially with motorized snakes.

Last edited:
The Ridgid K25 hand spinner snake is very similar to the other rugged Ridgid Snake I posted the Amazon link to.

It is slightly more expensive, and has some sturdier aluminum parts.
I think the cable might be heavier duty also, but still the same good thickness, 5/16 inch.

Latest posts

Back