Bath tub faucet problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbaranna

Reaction score
In the bathtub my faucet is a one handle to regulate both hot and cold. If i have the faucet on the shower head selection everything is fine. If i turn it to water coming directly out of the faucet I then have a problem. I tested this as to when i keep it on the cold nothing happens but when i turn it for the hot water to come out , it doesnt come out as strong though it comes out but after a short while the pipes will make a machine gun sound noise for a couple of seconds and then the water shuts off. I cant afford a plumber to fix it and I am a senior. Is it hard to fix and how would I attempt it?

Post a picture of the mixing valve and its trim plate.
That will help us diagnose the issue, and to suggest the correct fix.

If you are not handy with plumbing, you might be better asking a neighbor or friend for help.
Or ask at your church, or talk to local
social service groups.
Many local groups offer free or discounted small home repairs to seniors in need.

If you have the Nextdoor app, post a request on there for help with your problem.

Sounds like you have a washer stuck possibly
In the hot side of the valve is this the only fixture affected????, If so take the internal out of the valve and slowly turn the water back on to the valve,or use a wet vac on the hot and cold ports may possibly pull the obstruction out

I am not sure what you mean about valves etc. everything works fine except when the faucet is used to say fill a bathtub of water, if i keep it on cold it stays on but if i start and turn it directly on hot it runs for around 30 seconds and then shuts off with a noise before it shuts off. Where are the valves? Are they behind the plate to turn the water on and off?

well I would but like I said i dont know where the valve is

Where are the valves? Are they behind the plate to turn the water on and off

You probably have a pressure balanced cartridge.

I’d start with replacing the cartridge OR if it has a push button diverter or any type diverter for the shower function then I’d replace thst first.

That’s my course of action.

As Jeff handy mention show some pics of the valve, maybe there is a name on it
well I would but like I said i dont know where the valve is

Where are the valves? Are they behind the plate to turn the water on and off
Sorry about that ment what tomfeomohio posted

Read the whole thread again.

This nice elderly lady in distress apparently has no plumbing skills and no money.
Very common situation nowadays.

I re-state my advice from post #2, her best chance of help is from some local charity or social organization, but she has to seek help, they can’t respond without being advised of her situation.

Read the whole thread again.

This nice elderly lady in distress apparently has no plumbing skills and no money.
Very common situation nowadays.

I re-state my advice from post #2, her best chance of help is from some local charity or social organization, but she has to seek help, they can’t respond without being advised of her situation.
I’m a pretty good plumber but a horrible social worker

Back