basin wrench

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are there fixed size right angle wrenches that are offset? kind of crowfoot with torque or ratchet?

are there fixed size right angle wrenches that are offset? kind of crowfoot with torque or ratchet?
There are crowfoot wrenches available but in that large size (?) they’re $30+. Then who says it’ll turn ?

Have American standard send you the parts if they have them. If they don’t then buy the escutcheon off eBay to replace the one you tear up getting off, It’s $18

true.
I think Home Depot may stick both if need be. AS is pretty much good for nada.

true.
I think Home Depot may stick both if need be. AS is pretty much good for nada.
I tried buying a large crowfoot and couldn’t find anyone who had it on the shelf. I think I ended up buying it off Amazon. I use large crowfoot wrenches to work on guns.

You could try a regular basin wrench but sometimes when it opens up big enough to fit on the nut, it’s too big to turn. It hits the sink

I’ll check my stock and see if I have an American Standard wrench. If I do you can have it for the cost of shipping it to you.

"You could try a regular basin wrench but sometimes when it opens up big enough to fit on the nut, it’s too big to turn. It hits the sink"
exactly my issue.
That be great! Thanks for looking.

got it off and lubed the cartridge, though that won't last long I'd bet. Looks to be the OEM cartridge in comparison to the one I bough the other day.
as an electrician I use to work with use to say.
"BFFI"

got it off and lubed the cartridge, though that won't last long I'd bet. Looks to be the OEM cartridge in comparison to the one I bough the other day.
as an electrician I use to work with use to say.
"BFFI"
How you get it to come off ?

brute force and f'ing ignorance.
The vinegar I poured in the escutcheon the other day may have helped.
First I set the AC to frigid.
Then disconnected supply and spout. Turned the escutcheon/mount plate until it and/or the bottom nut loosened a bit.
Then one hand on top and one underneath. Monkey arms as my spouse says.
I did crackle the rigid supply line so I'll have to get a new flex.

brute force and f'ing ignorance.
The vinegar I poured in the escutcheon the other day may have helped.
First I set the AC to frigid.
Then disconnected supply and spout. Turned the escutcheon/mount plate until it and/or the bottom nut loosened a bit.
Then one hand on top and one underneath. Monkey arms as my spouse says.
I did crackle the rigid supply line so I'll have to get a new flex.
Glad you got it.

Escutcheons are metal/chrome. Those faucets all get tight and difficult to turn after 10-15 years, and the adapter spline (black plastic piece) often fuses to the handle and/or spline socket- in a nutshell, they're a *****.
I have gone through the trouble to replace a lot of them, but usually I replace them with something new, like a Kohler Devonshire or other nice widespread.
Good luck -
Tim Whistler
Tim Whistler Plumbing

I have gone through the trouble to replace a lot of them, but usually I replace them with something new, like a Kohler Devonshire or other nice widespread.
precisely my next move next time a cartridge fails. or Delta. But I will look at the mount and interconnects before I chose.

Back