Basement utility sink overflows when I run my water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwesley1990

Reaction score
Hi all - New here and my first post, I hope someone can give me some advice on what I have done so far without an expensive bill coming my way.

I have a utility sink that in my basement that sits directly below my kitchen sink that is on the first floor. The kitchen sink has PVC to a shared pipe with the bathroom that leads to my 2nd floor bathroom.

The utility sink has a p-trap and it has been cleaned and vaccuum cleaned by a plumber, taken apart and cleaned, no stoppages after replacing it for a good month.

After this month I now get a overflow in my utility sink and its not draining, when I run the water in the kitchen sink doing dishes, or I drain the bathtub upstairs.

Luckily the water is flowing in my cement basement to the floor drain so no water build up...

I've attached a video of the setup. A question I have is: can I cap off and remove the sink and will this resolve the issue?? Would that cause venting problems??

Attachments

• IMG_3307.MOV
    15.3 MB
If your sink is overflowing while using other fixtures you have a stoppage in the main drain, snake from the utility sink as far as you can, then find the cleanout closest to your foundation wall snake to the street, another thing I saw,was, you have enough space on your branch to install a back water valve, this will prevent you main sewer from backing up thru your sink

Latest posts

Back