Basement utility sink overflows when I run my water

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

cwesley1990

Reaction score
Hi all - New here and my first post, I hope someone can give me some advice on what I have done so far without an expensive bill coming my way.

I have a utility sink that in my basement that sits directly below my kitchen sink that is on the first floor. The kitchen sink has PVC to a shared pipe with the bathroom that leads to my 2nd floor bathroom.

The utility sink has a p-trap and it has been cleaned and vaccuum cleaned by a plumber, taken apart and cleaned, no stoppages after replacing it for a good month.

After this month I now get a overflow in my utility sink and its not draining, when I run the water in the kitchen sink doing dishes, or I drain the bathtub upstairs.

Luckily the water is flowing in my cement basement to the floor drain so no water build up...

I've attached a video of the setup. A question I have is: can I cap off and remove the sink and will this resolve the issue?? Would that cause venting problems??

Attachments

Geofd

Staff member
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your sink is overflowing while using other fixtures you have a stoppage in the main drain, snake from the utility sink as far as you can, then find the cleanout closest to your foundation wall snake to the street, another thing I saw,was, you have enough space on your branch to install a back water valve, this will prevent you main sewer from backing up thru your sink