Basement Sink Slow Drain, Possible Sump Pump Issue?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clourie

Reaction score
Hey All, so I am having issues with my basement sink. The sink backs up when I let the water run for about 10 seconds. The drain links to my sump pump via about 4 feet of plastic piping. So I thought naturally it was just a clog somewhere in the pipes. Tried Drano and no progress. I decided to take the pipes off and manually get any sludge build up that might have been in there. Only thing is, when I looked in the removed pipes, there was no blockage. Far as I can tell, the pipes are clean. The sump pump does work, I can hear it every so often during the day. When I turn the water on in the sink and then turn it off, I can hear a faint trickling sound, very similar to what you would hear if water was getting by some clog slowly. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? I see there's a place on the sump pump for the filter, I was thinking of opening it up to see if there's anything weird going on in there, because I'm basically out of ideas, as a newbie first time home owner. Thanks very much for any suggestions!

I'll be honest, I have never seen a sump attached to a sink before. It must be an American thing.

All I can recommend is to snake the line from the sink to the pump to make sure it is clear. Avoid further chemicals.

Also, is the sink vented? When it is full of water and slowly draining does it gurgle or have bubbles come out of the drain at all?

wherever your water is running slowly, tub sink, you can use a shop vac to clear any obstructions causing the slow drain, usually in the kitchen, not using a strainer and allowing food and dumping grease will clog a drain pretty fast, in the bathroom tub or shower, hair is usually always the culprit. at any rate, a shop vac works like a charm on anything stopping up a drain. just take out the filter and make sure you seal the hose over the drain with a rag so there's no air coming into the hose, creating a tight seal will cause the suction of the vaccuum to work on anything in the pipes. you will want to run water first to back up the drain, the cohesion of the water will clear the pipes. you'll be amazed at what comes out. using a snake will only loosen the material and not clear it out completely and running water after that will only make it clog further down the line.

Sewer Service

Latest posts

Back