Basement pipe question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmer

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a question about two pipes that are in my basement. I live in a townhouse style condo, there are four units side by side. In my basement, at the base of the stairs, there are two PVC pipes in the floor that are capped. One is about a 6", the other is about a 4", and they are about 6" apart. I am certain that they are not for basement bathroom plumbing, because we already have an area that is roughed in for a bathroom. We are almost done with finishing this area of our basement, and I want to make sure I can put carpet over these pipes without leaving access to them. Here is a picture, if it works.

Thanks in advance!

Timmer,
mr.david is correct. I believe they are a backwater valve and cleanout and you do need to leave access. The backwater valve is there to prevent raw sewage coming back into your house from the city sewer if they have a backup out there at the street. The sewer cleanout is used to rod out your sewer. I advise you to have a trim carpenter make a decorative molding around these units and pretty them up and then carpet around them.

Not perfect but life seldom is.

patrick

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

One additional question, the pipes are located in the corner of the room, and was hoping to talk to the carpet installers to have them leave that corner loose, so if we need access we can pull the carpet up, do what we need to, then glue it back down. What do you think?

Hey Timmer,
I don't know. My inspectors are pretty firm on visible permanent access, but if you are not getting inspections that is up to you.
Pat

Latest posts

Back