Basement Floor drain filled with dirt

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambelious

Reaction score
Hi....

So I am currently working on converting my basement half bath (Toilet & sink) into a 3 piece bathroom (shower, toilet, and vanity). My house is a 1972 bi-level home near Vancouver BC, Canada.

When I ripped up the old bathroom, I found a basement floor drain under the bathroom floor. Around the drain (about 2 feet radius) there was a lot of dirt. I jack hammered the floor up around the drain and found the floor drain was connected to a black corrugated pipe. The pipe is filled with dirt and is cracked near the floor drain. (See pictures)

Now, on the other side of the wall (about 1 foot away from the drain) is the stack. I felt around the corrugated pipe to see if it goes towards the stack but it seems like it goes outside.

I am trying to understand how everything is all connected. In the attached picture you can see a 3" ABS pip running towards the stack. This pipe drains fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. Also, the water around the floor drain doesn't smell at all so i don't think any sewage is leaking.

Can someone tell me:
- Is the corrugated pipe attached to the weeping tile outside?
- Could the corrugated pipe be part of a internal weeping system?
- if it is attached to some sort of weeping system, why is the basement floor drain attached to the weeping tile, and not the stack?
- What should i do about drain pipe? Can I (somehow) attach it to the stack?
- Should I be worried that it is filled with dirt?

Thanks,
Danny

IMG_20120608_210426.jpg

IMG_20120608_210439.jpg

Looks to me like it was something rigged up to help control ground water. That would explain the dirt particles. It should be connected to your weeping system. But just like anything, depending on who installed it and what kind of mood they were in that day we cant really say for sure, unless you had a camera inspection done.

Looks to me like it was something rigged up to help control ground water. That would explain the dirt particles. It should be connected to your weeping system. But just like anything, depending on who installed it and what kind of mood they were in that day we cant really say for sure, unless you had a camera inspection done.

OK thanks... So I guess it would be worth it to get a plumber to come out and use a video snake to see how it is connected.

Is it already bad news that it is filled with dirt? I don't really want to hear that the weeping system needs to be dug up and replaced.

Latest posts

Back