Basement bathroom / shower framing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tollhaus

Reaction score
I know there are hundreds of threads on here talking about basement bathrooms, but I can't find my specific question.

I'm starting our basement finishing work soon. I'm going to start with the bathroom because it will kind of set the dimensions for the rest of the space, which will largely be open, other than an area that will be a bedroom/office. I'm comfortable with framing and electrical but will hire out for the plumbing and drywall.

The bathroom is roughed in for a 5x7' layout with the ejector pit in an area that will remain unfinished for storage. It's set up for a RH drain tub, but I want to do a walk-in shower instead.

My biggest (two-part) question before I start framing is:
1)
Does any have general comments on products like this:
Ovation 33.5 in. x 60 in. x 75.25 in. Combo 4-Piece Shower Kit with Left-Hand Drain in Arctic (but in Right-Hand drain)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/America...-Hand-Drain-in-Arctic-BW002L-OV-011/206268602
I'm looking for things like: "don't forget to... " or "make sure you leave room for..." or "avoid this brand or style".

2) Anything I need to know about framing around this? How close to the actual dimensions of the shower do I need to be? Is there a standard gap that you leave or does the stud need to be exactly against the pre-fabricated walls and pan? I plan on getting the product first and tracing it out on the floor so that I can be precise with my bottom plate. Do I need the studs to be closer than the normal 16" anywhere other than where supply lines will be?

Bonus question:
I have room on each wall to be creative. Behind the back wall (back of the toilet, back of the vanity) there will be unfinished storage space. Any creative recommendations like recessed shelves that I should consider before I frame?

Thanks in advance.

Sterling is part of Kohler I have put a few 3peice tubs in they are very sturdy studs were 16" on ctr slid the tub in and walls there wasn't much wiggle room it wasn't jammed in either

Frame the pocket 1/4”- 3/8” larger unless you have the pan on-site to measure off of.

Insulate the stud cavities and under the tub to make the shower quiet for the user and the rest of the house.

Thanks. This will go on the basement slab. How do I insulate under it. Do I frame a floor for it to sit on?

I've also seen people say to put the pan in a bed of mortar. Do I need to do that?

I was thinking it was a bathtub when I wrote that, I understand it’s a shower. Insulate the walls behind the panels

I like sitting my pans in soupy sand topping mix. It’s cement and sand premixed in a bag. You can pour it up to 2” thick if need be. It’s easy to put too much, so think it out.

I like to let the cement set up for a couple days before I step into it after I get it set initially.

I like sitting my pans in soupy sand topping mix. It’s cement and sand premixed in a bag. You can pour it up to 2” thick if need be. It’s easy to put too much, so think it out.

I like to let the cement set up for a couple days before I step into it after I get it set initially.

I'll need a little more instruction on this one. Any specific products you'd recommend?

Two more questions.
1) For the wall that is against the cinder block wall, how much room should I leave between the studs and the cinderblocks? I've seen different advice on the internet. For what it's worth, this portion of the cinderblock wall is under the garage.
2) I had one contractor tell me to frame this wall with the studs 90-degrees, so only 1.5" thick, not the full 3.5". I think he meant to attach these studs directly to the wall. Any truth to that?

Back