Basement bathroom plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xandrew245x

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm getting ready to start a bathroom project in my basement. I will be breaking the floor our and running the drain pipes under the floor into a sump pit. I know that I will need to run a vent for the sink and the sump pit itself, which is no problem. However I'm not sure about venting the shower and the toilet. Someone told me I would be able to use the sump pit as an indirect vent for the toilet and shower. I want to do this right since I will be breaking up the floor to run the plumbing, and once it's done, it won't be easy to fix mistakes. I created a sketch of an idea of how I wanted to run the drains and vents, could you please let me know if this is correct.

I already contacted my local municipality and do not need a permit to do the work, however I do want it to be correct.

bathroom 2.jpg
bathroom 3.jpg

Thanks for the reply. So you're suggesting running the toilet drain and shower drain towards each other and converging on one spot. I guess that would be possible but i'm not sure how I would get it all hooked together there. If I did it the way your drawing shows, could I use a 4 way connection, the toilet would come in one side, the shower adjacent to, and the vent out the back up into the wall?

I made a revision to my original plan that looks a little more similar to your sketch.

In theory if I were to attach the sink drain into the line between the toilet and the shower I would no long need a separate vent for the shower since the toilet would be the last thing entering the line, and the sink would act as a wet vent.

bathroom 2.jpg

bathroom 3.jpg

Vent it, save yourself issues down the road from slow drainage. Not having a vent can cause more than just one issue. In the state I live in, code says everything needs a vent within 5 feet of said fixture. Don't rely on your sewage ejector for the vent. You need the vent, because if you attach the shower and stool together that close without a direct vent you could cause the stool flush to pull water out of the shower trap.

Latest posts

Back