Basement bathroom plumbing

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by xandrew245x, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 19, 2017 #1

xandrew245x

xandrew245x

xandrew245x

Hello everyone, i'm getting ready to start a bathroom project in my basement. I will be breaking the floor our and running the drain pipes under the floor into a sump pit. I know that I will need to run a vent for the sink and the sump pit itself, which is no problem. However I'm not sure about venting the shower and the toilet. Someone told me I would be able to use the sump pit as an indirect vent for the toilet and shower. I want to do this right since I will be breaking up the floor to run the plumbing, and once it's done, it won't be easy to fix mistakes. I created a sketch of an idea of how I wanted to run the drains and vents, could you please let me know if this is correct.

I already contacted my local municipality and do not need a permit to do the work, however I do want it to be correct.

bathroom 2.jpg
    bathroom 3.jpg

2. Nov 21, 2017 #2

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional

aa.gif

3. Nov 21, 2017 #3

frodo

frodo

frodo

bathroom 2.jpg

4. Nov 21, 2017 #4

xandrew245x

xandrew245x

xandrew245x

Thanks for the reply. So you're suggesting running the toilet drain and shower drain towards each other and converging on one spot. I guess that would be possible but i'm not sure how I would get it all hooked together there. If I did it the way your drawing shows, could I use a 4 way connection, the toilet would come in one side, the shower adjacent to, and the vent out the back up into the wall?

I made a revision to my original plan that looks a little more similar to your sketch.

In theory if I were to attach the sink drain into the line between the toilet and the shower I would no long need a separate vent for the shower since the toilet would be the last thing entering the line, and the sink would act as a wet vent.

bathroom 2.jpg

bathroom 3.jpg

5. Nov 21, 2017 #5

frodo

frodo

frodo

tee.jpg

6. Nov 23, 2017 #6

justin_dewan90

justin_dewan90

justin_dewan90

Vent it, save yourself issues down the road from slow drainage. Not having a vent can cause more than just one issue. In the state I live in, code says everything needs a vent within 5 feet of said fixture. Don't rely on your sewage ejector for the vent. You need the vent, because if you attach the shower and stool together that close without a direct vent you could cause the stool flush to pull water out of the shower trap.