Basement Apartment Kitchen Sink Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxwell619

Reaction score
Hello, we purchased our first home (about 20 years old) that had an existing basement apartment. The kitchen in the apartment needed a new garbage disposal, which I was able to take care of. However, while I was down there, I thought I'd take the opportunity to replace the piping under the sink as the kitchen always had a very foul smell. I'm concerned about the layout of the existing piping, though. Attached are a couple pictures to help visualize (the pictures shown have the disposal removed). As you can see, the pipe that comes off of the p-trap then goes up and over the garbage disposal into the drain pipe. Is this a good setup? Could this be why there's so much of a foul smell? What can we do to remedy the setup? Thanks in advance! IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0595.jpg

That drain is roughed in too high. That means the black horizontal pipe is too high. Because of this, your trap is not proper, the trap seal is too deep.

Lower the black horizontal pipe it the objective here. Or get a single bowl shallow sink.

That is B A double D, bad. Like Two said that ABS needs to be lowered. It looks to be pitching the wrong way also. Where is the ABS tied in. I bet they did that kitchen without permits

Did you get a lot of water when you took the disposal off? With that pipe running so low, it's likely full of water most, if not all the time.

In a p-trap, water will sit up to the bend before it goes horizontal towards the wall, so you kinda visualize what's causing the smells.

The accordion pipe doesn't help keep your trap water very clean, either.

Back