Banging Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlonc497

Reaction score
Hello, today I was woken up to a loud pipe banging sound originating from the irrigation pipe. Once I got outside I observed the backflow preventer shaking and expelling water continuously. This issue occurred as soon as the irrigation system was scheduled to come on (2am). This is a problem I've been combating with for quite some time. It is very hard to replicate during the day but seems to happen pretty reliably during the night. I've already replaced the backflow preventer and installed a water hammer arrestor but no dice. Last year I seemed to have somewhat fixed that problem by partially closing the outlet valve of the backflow preventer in order to restrict water flow to a certain degree. Not sure if it was luck though. Despite this I would like to fix the root of the problem.

Backflow preventer for reference: Apollo 3/4 in. Bronze FIP Pressure Vacuum Breaker 4A504A2F

Thanks!
Marlon

Will do, while I'm at it anything else you recommend me doing? Also any idea why it seems more prevalent at night? Thanks

Latest posts

Back