Ball Valve, standard fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyclone

Reaction score
Hi,
This may seem like a naive post, but;

But have a 3/4 & 2" Apollo Ball valve(s); the flange used are ANSI 150.

What would be the best fittings to use, and where could I find spec's on them?

Attachments

• CAD MODEL APOLLO VALVE.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Extracted pages from TS_76-500 Deadman Valves (1)-Marked-DN20.pdf
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
Many here will not take the time to open a pdf file. It would be beneficial to post a picture instead of the .pdf format.

No worries,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 172937.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 172937.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • Extracted pages from TS_76-500 Deadman Valves (1)-Marked-DN20.jpg
    Extracted pages from TS_76-500 Deadman Valves (1)-Marked-DN20.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 0
Most all the pros on this site are USA based. So our sources would be quite different than your local sources. We get our flanges from plumbing wholesale shops who order and stock from mfr distribution sources.

Those are not flanged valves. The diagram indicates they are 3/4" NPT threaded valves. The picture show what appears to be a compression fitting screwed into one side of the valve.
That's correct, it's threaded. The ANSI 150 flange I was using just an indication of the pressure of the system. There are flanges used elsewhere in this system.
I was hoping to find a standard which I could given me the dimensions of a 3/4", & 2" threaded fitting, I need it to create a cad model.

The fitting in image - I'm not sure if it's correct. I scaled it from a 1/2" fitting. I don't know where they got the model from.

Last edited:
Most all the pros on this site are USA based. So our sources would be quite different than your local sources. We get our flanges from plumbing wholesale shops who order and stock from mfr distribution sources.
I see.

Thanks for the ad
That's corrected, it's threaded. The ANSI 150 flange I was using just an indication of the pressure of the system. There are flanges used elsewhere in this system.
I was hoping to find a standard which I could given me the dimensions of a 3/4", & 2" threaded fitting, I need it to create a cad model.

The fitting in image - I'm not sure if it's correct. I scaled it from a 1/2" fitting. I don't know where they got the model from.

It's all good, I found a local manufacturer - with CAD models!

My next question is; what type of fitting is this? (See attached).

The unconnected end is threaded into a ball valve.

Would the pipe have a flared end?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 222216.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 222216.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
It may be a compression by male pipe thread. Have you tried BIM Objects for cad and revit families

That's interesting, I've use BIM Objects a-lot for CAD models, but never for fittings. But your right that are available.

I'm not just interested in CAD models, I need manufactures & dimension details, for pipe network fabrication.

But going back to my earlier post, my apologies for not being specific; I'm interested in the fitting side joining to the pipe?

Is this pipe (shown) flared, and do you know the fitting type?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-10 150532.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 150532.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
A flared nut that I use is more cone shape, to me that is a compression fitting that uses a ferrule.
Ok, Thanks,

Would you have a compression fitting to suit a 2" Apollo Valve, or would the fitting be welded to pipe? (See attached)

Attachments

• apollo valve .jpg
    apollo valve .jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • valve specs 2 in.jpg
    valve specs 2 in.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
For what service is this valve being used?

Do you have a piping specification?

And no, that flare nut is not welded to the pipe.

Your first post highlighted a 3/4" valve and the picture showed what I took as a compression fitting. You mentioned a 2" valve in that first post, but for that size valve, I would expect that the 2" NPT valve would simply have the piping screwed into both ends of the valve. And very same could be true with the 3/4" valve. Why do you have a compression fitting in the picture?

Is this a school project or an actual industrial application?

For what service is this valve being used?

Do you have a piping specification?

And no, that flare nut is not welded to the pipe.

Your first post highlighted a 3/4" valve and the picture showed what I took as a compression fitting. You mentioned a 2" valve in that first post, but for that size valve, I would expect that the 2" NPT valve would simply have the piping screwed into both ends of the valve. And very same could be true with the 3/4" valve. Why do you have a compression fitting in the picture?

Is this a school project or an actual industrial application?
The only spec's I have for the piping (thus far) is Class 150, stainless steel.

I realise a majority of forum members are Plumbing professionals, which I am not, but I appreciate you taking the time getting back to me.

The project is for an Industrial Petroleum Plant, a De-watering system.

Last edited:
Well, you are in luck because I am a Registered Profession Engineer with vast experience in Chemical plants and Refineries.

So, my first question would be are you sure you want to use a 2" screwed stainless valve in this application? In the refineries I've worked in, when it comes to 2" stainless piping, I've mostly used, like 99.9% of the time, flanges valves. Stainless steel screwed fittings gall pretty bad resulting in impossible disassembly of a piping system. Small instrument tubing and the like is about the only screwed stainless steel piping I've ever used in quantity.

But someone may still specify screwed pipe fittings for some reason. So, if that is the case, the picture you are using probably would not be applicable to 2" pipe size. The piping would simply be threaded connections into the screwed valve and unions placed where required for assembly of the piping system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that makes sense.
But the company I'm working with has specifically selected Apollo 3/4" & 2" "deadman" valves. I'll confirm the connection details, maybe it's something they have overlook?

Normally for us it is welded or grooved 2 1/2" and up and then threaded 2" and down. It would depend on what the spec is for that system. They could be socket welding the smaller bore like the 2" and down.

Normally for us it is welded or grooved 2 1/2" and up and then threaded 2" and down. It would depend on what the spec is for that system. They could be socket welding the smaller bore like the 2" and down.
No worries, I'll keep that in-mind. Thanks.

Back