Ball cock wont fix it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyface

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this subject is something that has been discussed several times in the past, but I have read through the reads I could find and I'm still clueless.

I moved into my house a few months ago, almost immediately I noticed the overflow pipe coming out of the loft on the exterior wall dripping. This was ok to start off with, then the speed of the dripping increased and eventually it was like leaving a tap on.

I googled and replaced the ball cock and emptied some of the water out of the tank in the loft - as it seemed really high.

This worked for maybe two weeks, and then the dripping returned. I went up and emptied more water - again worked for a week. I did this again last night and woke up to the overflow pipe dripping every 3 seconds.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I'm at the point where I think im going to have to get a pro in!!

Confused?? You Say you have water dripping from a pipe sticking out side of outside wall.
That would not be an over flow from a toilet.
Do you have an Air conditioner running?
Sounds like a secondary drain for the AC condensate drain.
When the primary drain gets plugged The secondary drain dumps over a window to warn you that the primary failed. If you Have an AC unit in attic see if it has 2 drains attached to the condensate drip pan.

Hey,

Its definitely not the toilet overflow, as the pipe is coming out of where my water tank is in the loft, for my central heating.

I realised after I made this post, that its predominantly used in America. Lol! We dont have air con in houses in the UK, its cool enough! HA!

If anyone has any other suggestions, it would be great to hear them.

Thanks

If this leaking water is connected to your heating unit, I'm wondering if your pressure relief valve is failing?

Hey.. im not exactly a professional as of yet... finishing my plumbing apprenticeship soon! but i have heard of a problem with water coming out of the overflow pipe.. like you said the most common problem is the actual ball cock.. but you have replaced this already... so it can't be water getting in through the inlet to the cistern..! there is a vent pipe, (well there should be) coming in through the lid of the cistern.. sometimes if a plumber installs the central heating pump to close to the vent pipe it can push the water up and out.. straight into the feed and expansion cistern. may be the problem..

Back