Bad well pressure tank?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Veeder

Reaction score
My deep water well pump seems to be working OK. How ever the pump is short cycling. It seems most times it is due to a bad bladder in the pressure tank. I tapped the tank and hear a hollow sound on the upper third of the tank. The schrader valve is totally corroded and I cannot check the air pressure.. What other tests can I run before I replace the tank? I was thinking of installing an "emergency tire valve" so that I would be able to check the pressure.

If the Schrader on the bladder tank is bad, then the tank is bad. You cannot add another Schrader anywhere else that would put air in the correct chamber. A bad tank bladder is just a sign your pump is cycling on and off too much, which will also destroy the pump and other things in the system besides just the tank bladder.

If you have a hose bib near the pressure tank you could add some air there to temporarily solve your short-cycling problem. Drain the system down and put in about 50 pounds, then start the pump and run a hose outside. There may be some surplus air to purge out, and some silt or dirt, and cycling the system a few times should flush this out.

Back