Backflow Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they make decent looking access panels, and you could install it with rubber no-hub connectors, so it would be easy to take out and clean. Although, it might work flawless for a long time. But, you realize the kitchen drain won't work when the pump is running.

This is a picture I drew of the application. Hopefully it's not too confusing. Side view and top view with measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
I don’t see how a swing check valve could work on a vertical pipe, in this situation.
With gravity drainage from above, and pumped drainage coming up from below.
Can someone explain how that could work?

Your right, a swing check won't be reliable in a vertical position, I thought he was going to put it in a horizontal pipe. And, I wouldn't recommend a spring loaded check in this application.

I don’t see how a swing check valve could work on a vertical pipe, in this situation.
With gravity drainage from above, and pumped drainage coming up from below.
Can someone explain how that could work?
Can’t turn the eye fitting but can move the tie in about 15’ closer to the 3” at the main drain.
With the way it's piped like jeff handy mentioned the line on the left of the pumped line will always drain into the pumped line 1st keeping the check closed, so you are really pumping twice the height (vertical) all the time if you move it down without changing the way it enters the main drain everything will
1st drain into your pumped drain then you add 15' of pipe more will be holding water ,another way is to lower the main
Drain on the right of the pumped drain so you can get the height

My point about putting a swing check on a vertical drain is that a swing check works by gravity.
So it would have to be installed upside down, hanging open, and would probably not close uphill, fighting gravity, as the pumped water reached it.
Or it might close but some pumped water would likely go rushing past it first.

There is a pitch of 1/8” to1/4” to the foot from the kitchen sink all the way to the main 3” drain of approximately 65’. (from the kitchen drain to the corner 15-16’ then a double ell and from there 8’ to the washer wye drain then from there another 40’ to the 3” main drain.) I made sure of the pitch upon install.

That really long drain line, with no real vent, might be part of the problem.
Why is there no vent line to the roof anywhere on there?
An AAV only can do so much, a natural vent is better, and there has to be one somewhere, can’t you tie into it.

There is a vent on the pump plus another vent at the 3” tie in. One thing I forgot to mention, on the pumped line there is a 90 degree ell with a 1-1 1/2” piece dropping down to the wye on the main drain. Had no room in the walls for the kitchen vent. Walls are cement block with brick and inside are on
1 1/2” deep.

I think if you don't have the height anywhere where your main drain exits the house there has to be 2 wyes 1st wye
Would be gravity 2nd wye would be pumped line that way there is no way either line can drain into the other unless there is a main line stoppage

If I need to core drill through the outside of the house for a proper vent, can it run up the outside and if so where would it need to be terminated?

Latest posts

Back