Backflow Preventer or CheckValve Needed For Rain Barrel System?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcxboxps

Reaction score
I have a rain barrel system setup that has a transfer pump attached to the rain barrel that routes rain water through a PVC pipe to a spigot in my garden.
I also have another water connection coming from my home's outdoor city water spigot that is connected to the same water line as the rain barrel.

I also have 2 manual PVC shut off ball valves attached to the two water lines so that if I am pulling water from my rain barrel via the transfer pump, I will manually shut off the city water pvc ball valve, and vice versa if I am pulling water from the city water line.

Currently, on the city water spigot attached to my home, I have a vacuum breaker installed, however, after reading more online, I believe another component (i.e. Check Valve / Backflow Preventor) may be needed?

The goal here was that if my rain barrel was low on water, I could manually switch over and use my city water using the same spigot in my garden.

Thanks

You need a testable device when you mix 2 water sources one consumable one not it's considered high hazard look up watts 009
Or watts 909 that is the style device you need
If you read up on back flow regulations for your state. it would be very informative

Your best bet would be to keep it separate. Just install another faucet for the city supply, use a backflow preventer on that hose faucet.

Your best bet would be to keep it separate. Just install another faucet for the city supply, use a backflow preventer on that hose faucet.
Thanks, I plan to do something similar to this for simplicity.

Latest posts

Back