Backflow preventer dripping water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernbombs

Reaction score
Is it normal for the vent discharge line to drip constantly? It's dripping more than once per second.

2012-01-10090459.jpg

That one is not familiar to me at all but with the larger ones I deal with it is usually something stuck in the check valve inside. I usually turn there water on and off a few times and sometimes it will clear it out and stop the drip.

Supplied by our plumbing contractor, approved by city inspector, supplies soda fountain/carbonator.

That one is not familiar to me at all but with the larger ones I deal with it is usually something stuck in the check valve inside. I usually turn there water on and off a few times and sometimes it will clear it out and stop the drip.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

That didn't stop the drip. Does the drip suggest there may be excessive pressure building up?

I doubt the pressure would cause a problem. Did it start immediatly after install or some time later? Was any other parts of that contraption added at a later date?

Is that small part servicable? I see hex heads on both sides but doe it come apart? If so you could pull it apart and see if anything is stuck in there or if whatever valve it has inside is broken. You could also replace that check.

I didn't know that they had a repair kit for the stainless carbonator Check Valve. If you can find or order it, then go for it. I would imagine that it wouldn't be a stockable item. The Carbonated Check valve is normally an off the shelf item.

It's normally not worth it to my clients for my time to rebuild it. Something this size is faster and less expensive to replace than with my labor fee to rebuild.
Mick

Last edited:
Repair kit has been installed and drip has stopped. I examined the replaced parts and couldn't see any defects. Guess it doesn't take much to cause a leak.

Watts repair kit for the SD-3.
2012-02-07084150.jpg

Back