Back up and gurgle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpokerwinski

Reaction score
I started to hear gurgle noise in my basement toilet. I would run the utility sink and water would “boil” in the toilet. On this curcuit of my house I just have my kitchen and the utility bathroom. When I run water in the kitchen in can hear gurgle in the drain ( straight pipe that used to be used for washer drain). There is a floor drain near the straight pipe. Water started to backup through this. But it does go down slowly. My wife bought some nasty sounding drain cleaner that in reading the back it sounds like it could burn a hole in 3 inch steel. I’m not using 5hat crap. After reading above any suggestions?

yes, snake the main drain .....a good place to start is the floor drain if you snake it yourself use a snake with at least
3/8" diameter cable by at least 50 ft long 3/8" cable will go thru you floor drain anything bigger you will have to go thru a bigger cleanout

yes, snake the main drain .....a good place to start is the floor drain if you snake it yourself use a snake with at least
3/8" diameter cable by at least 50 ft long 3/8" cable will go thru you floor drain anything bigger you will have to go thru a bigger cleanout
Floor drain meaning the floor drain of the toilet ? Isn’t gurgling a indication of a blocked vent? Just asking . Of course being a holiday weekend nobody answers their phone. Fortunately the drain my my bathrooms upstairs are all ok

Floor drain meaning the floor drain of the toilet ? Isn’t gurgling a indication of a blocked vent? Just asking . Of course being a holiday weekend nobody answers their phone. Fortunately the drain my my bathrooms upstairs are all ok
you mention a floor drain near the straight pipe that some water came out of but drained slowly
yes the drains above your basement are ok but if water is coming out of a floor drain or you have gugling in other fixtures its a sign of your main drain to your house backing up

you mention a floor drain near the straight pipe that some water came out of but drained slowly
yes the drains above your basement are ok but if water is coming out of a floor drain or you have gugling in other fixtures its a sign of your main drain to your house backing up
No the main to the street is NOT backing up. I have 2 stacks in the garage. I can run water all day in my upstairs bathrooms and no backup. It’s only the section of line that goes from the kitchen down to the same line the problem toilet is connected to. The vent fir that part is above the kitchen window.
the drain in the floor near the problem toilet is really stuck and I can’t pull up the cover without destroying it.

No the main to the street is NOT backing up. I have 2 stacks in the garage. I can run water all day in my upstairs bathrooms and no backup. It’s only the section of line that goes from the kitchen down to the same line the problem toilet is connected to. The vent fir that part is above the kitchen window.
the drain in the floor near the problem toilet is really stuck and I can’t pull up the cover without destroying it.
another way to do it is to pull the gugling toilet and snake from there, or find a clean out on the problem line ane snake from there

Back