Aux vent question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

survivor2019

Reaction score
Good Day! I am rerouting an aux vent pipe per the recommendation from this forum. I turned it in the floor and have it going up the wall to then connect back to the existing pipe out the house. What i didnt consider untill AFTER i did all the work, is that rain water comes down the pipe on occasion and drains out. Well i installed the pipe in the floor going the wrong direction so it wont drain properly. I hate to redo this so please let me know if i need to. The arrow shows which way the pipe currently slopes but it should be going the other way. Right after the joist it turns up into the wall.

Attachments

• pipes_LI.jpg
    pipes_LI.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 11
If the vent is back pitched then it’s size has been reduced when it fills with water.

So your 1.5” vent for example may have the air flow of a 1/2” pipe because it’s almost full of water.

Or it could be completely full of water and not a vent at all any longer. AKA water logged vent.

If you used that T below 6” above the flood level rim of the nearest fixture then it’s an illegal fitting. But I wouldn’t have used that fitting at all, that appears to be a pressure fitting.

If the vent is back pitched then it’s size has been reduced when it fills with water.

So your 1.5” vent for example may have the air flow of a 1/2” pipe because it’s almost full of water.

Or it could be completely full of water and not a vent at all any longer. AKA water logged vent.

If you used that T below 6” above the flood level rim of the nearest fixture then it’s an illegal fitting. But I wouldn’t have used that fitting at all, that appears to be a pressure fitting.

(It is 6” above flood level isn’t it)

I agree.

Unless you have a sink (ie) to wash out your vent, debris will fill your horizontal dry vent.
Without a working vent, water and waste will stand in your drain like putting your finger on the top of a drinking straw, holding the liquid inside.

It will flush just fine new.

A few years later, you will regret this install every time you have to clean out your drain line.

(It is 6” above flood level isn’t it)

I agree.

Unless you have a sink (ie) to wash out your vent, debris will fill your horizontal dry vent.
Without a working vent, water and waste will stand in your drain like putting your finger on the top of a drinking straw, holding the liquid inside.

It will flush just fine new.

A few years later, you will regret this install every time you have to clean out your drain line.
I’m talking about in the vent system only. Like in the attic. Vents can’t be back pitched or they can fill with water

Latest posts

Back