Aux. Vent Pipe question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

survivor2019

Reaction score
I am converting attic space on the second floor to a bedroom. While adding a doorway i found a 2" pvc pipe going through the roof. I checked all the plumbing in my house and everything appeared to have its own main vent except my laundry so i thought it was only a vent pipe for the laundry room. (I have a two story home) I cut the vent pipe on the first floor in my laundry room and added an AAV into the wall. I thought my problem was solved. Months later as i was gonna yank the leftover pipe out of the wall i noticed it was still connected by a pipe from the upstairs. I decided it was a vent pipe soley for the upstairs tub... wrong once again when today i started to smell methane from that pipe which is now cut in two places. because of the bedroom conversion i already built around the pipe so routing it back to that location will require demo that i dont want to do. SO can i just cap both ends of the pipe completely and force the methane to use the main vent pipes? or do i have to get it out of the house?

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
ok, how fast does this need to be done? can i delay it for a while (like a month)? Or is the methane release that hazardous? note it has been open like this for like 4 months already. thanks

Latest posts

Back