Automatically switch from electric boiler to instant gas water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.mcdoy

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a house in a mountainous area in Europe. The most cost-efficient way to heat water is an electric water boiler, as natural gas is more expensive because of the remote location. I have an 80L boiler, which works really well when I am there alone, or with a single guest. When the entire family visits, it's difficult though; The water is really cold to begin with, so the boiler takes 4 hours to heat, and is barely enough for 2 showers, so having 4,5,6 guests... It becomes impossible.

Which is why I am considering an instant gas heater, even though the cost is higher. This would allow us to have as much hot water as we need, on demand.

I would like to keep the boiler though, for the times I am there alone. I could have them installed paralely, and have a manual switch from one to the other. But it would be a better idea to somehow have a switch that automatically switches over to the gas heater, when there is no more hot water from the boiler.

That way, both could work together, saving some costs. I am not sure though, if such a switch exists and how it would work. Any help would be appreciated!

Put them in series. The tankless heater, controls the burner, based on outlet temperature.

So, as long as the water from the electric, heater is hot, the tankless will not kick in. As the temperature from the tank drops, the tankless will come online, to maintain whatever you have it set for.

stiebel-eltron-tankless-electric-water-heaters-tempra-29-plus-64_1000.jpg

there are many electric tankless units, i like stieble eltron and bosch. you will need electrician to upgrade lines to tankless unit.

Back