Autistic Son Causes Toilet Seat Corrosion

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha Mark

Reaction score
We seem to be going through new toilet seats every year or two. Most imported seat hinges are built with brittle steel which rusts quickly and has a tendency to break. Would a mostly plastic seat work, and also not break apart due to poor construction? There are so many bad reviews on Amazon and elsewhere, even complaining about Kohler seats.
Master bedroom bathroom has had no problems for the past 13 years. Only the son's bathroom seat has issues.

Last edited:
I have never seen a steel toilet seat, except on a pit toilet or maybe a gas station toilet.

I prefer heavy wooden toilet seats such as from Bemis, with no-slam hinges.

This stainless steel bowl and toilet seat is probably indestructible.

stainless_steel_toilet.jpg

Made for prisons. Would not go over well with the wife.

Get a slow close seat. My ole man got to having a fit one night and slammed the toilet seat. I fixed him and installed a slow close seat. Bemis is one brand that makes them. Guess what. He can't slam that one.

we have those slow closers. . . in our new house. It was quite a change from the old ones we had to be careful with or they would slam down loudly if slipping from your hand. . .
It was about a year later using these I visited my brother's house and used their toilet situated near the living room. . . Hey. I just pulled their seat forward and let it rip. . . figuring, it will take a half hour to drop like ours! WHAM! I got some questions on that one upon leaving the blue room!

Bemis, Mayfair, Church-- all subsidiaries of the same company-- make slow-close seats. I have Kohler seats that are soft-close and quick-release for cleaning but the bolts constantly come loose and I'm forever having to turn the nut to tighten-- particularly on the left side (while sitting on the toilet). I got a Mayfair elongaged soft-close plastic seat for my friend's house while we were evacuated at his house following a hurricane. (We also got a new toilet because his toilet and seat were absolutely terrible).
I've never had the hinges break on the plastic seats but if someone is very rough on them I suppose they could break. I don't like the wooden ones because the paint peels off.
Just remember with the slow-close that it can wreck the mechanism to force it closed if it is moving too slowly.

just so that you know urine will react with the plastic on the toilet seats. Just wipe off the seat every time or change the seat now and then.

Back