Auger or tool to make a 1/2 elbow to unclog??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whistler68

Reaction score
I had a water softener malfunction that plugged all of my water lines with decomposed, rounded-looking, rusty-reddish/yellow, fish-egg-shaped salt pellets... The only line still left clogged is being a booger(!): the main bathroom"s cold water (bath line). I've removed the valve, bumped the supply on/off... used my air compressor @ max compression (roughly 100psi), tried a fish-tape, coat-hanger, 1/4 hand auger, etc... Nothing seems to go far enough into the pipe to unclog this particular clog.

What else can I use?? Before someone says: "just replace the line," That would be a MAJOR CHORE, so I'd rather not... It is currently a 1/2" galvanized line. I appreciate all tips and assistance! Take care and God Bless...

Last edited:
The ole water softner resin bed gave way allowing resin to get in the water supply. Post some pics of the valve you are removing and the galvanize line in question. The galvanize probably had buildup to began with. Have you tried tapping on the line with the water on.

@ IFIXH2O:
Yes Sir... I've been beating the heck out of it with a hammer and a pipe wrench with water pressure on, compressor air pressure on, etc... to no avail. This isn't my house, or my picture attached, but the faucet assembly will show you essentially what I'm looking at. Basically, the original problem was that nothing would come out when I turn on the cold water valve. I removed the handle, removed the valve stem/plug, etc, and I'm staring into an open 1/2 galvanized pipe hoping and praying that eventually salt resin and cold water spurts out freely and spits right into my face. :) I am able to get a coat hanger about 12 inches into the pipe past the 90, but I need something to go further.

A little bit more information that I can think of would be that the valve threads aren't regular pipe threads, and are a finer thread... not sure about what size or thread count (or if that is pertinent)... I just want to give you all of the specific details that I know about. Do you think that there would be some kind of poly tubing that would be flexible enough to make the 90, yet stiff enough to allow water to flow freely and rinse the salt resin out? Maybe 1/4 black poly tubing or 1/8 copper line??

I need ideas... What would a plumber try? Are there pumps to rent?? Maybe a pressure washer??? Steam always works in my chemical plant, but dang, that's not readily available, is it?

None of my hot water lines plugged... I may be on to something there. How can I easily re-route the hot to back-flush the cold line through my house???? I'd have to probably spin off the shower head and plug the shower line, right? Then, maybe open an outside faucet and let 'er rip for awhile? I think that might just work!! YOU ARE SMART, IFIX!! I'll let you know how it goes...

faucet.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, I know that I will have to turn off the main city header supply in order to do this, and that I won't have any pressure pushing on the hot water when I do so... That is why I am planning to hook up my air compressor to the top of my hot water heater. :D I'm either really smart or really stupid... Either case, I haven't much to lose.

This is how I have it pictured: I figured that I could spin a spare outdoor water hose-type faucet (that I have laying in a drawer) on the shower head, get the bath water piping hot, shut the hose valve, then open the outside faucet (It should back-flow with the cold bath valve re-assembled and opened). If I don't get any water in a few minutes time (or I hear my pop-off valve on the water-heater!) I'll be back looking for more professional answers. Again, I'll let ya'll know tomorrow evening how it all worked out... too late to wake up the babies tonight, and a full day ahead before I make some steam (literally). Wish me luck!! ;) :eek:

Last edited:
Can you take pics of the piping leading to the tub/shower valve -- Do you have access to the piping leading to the tub/shower valve ?

I've came across this a couple times in my carrer. We call them salmon eggs.

I've always just used air to get them out. Never had a stubborn one like that. I was lucky enough that the valves meet clogged I guess. I guess you just have to start opening pipes of replace the pipes until you find the problem. No way if air doesn't work to do it. Good luck

Try blowing it out the other way. Back the way it
Came. Open up a cold pipe where you can and hit it hard with air or water through the taps. You could take the tub spout off and attach to
The 1/2 there for your compressor. Open up the
Cold water handle and let er buck.

Back