Attic Walkway

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy49

Reaction score
I need to make a walk way in my attic to reach plumbing pipe faraway from the attic door. I was thinking about putting down 1/2" plywood to walk on. Any recommendations? I don't plan use use this walkway for any storage. .

If you secure it be careful and not drive a screw through a wire or pipe . Compressing insulation reduces its R-value.

1/2 inch plywood should be fine.
I would have the big box store rip it down for you, into three 16 inch wide pieces.
If you are very heavy, or your framing is 24 inch on center, you might want to get 3/4 inch thick instead.
Pop in a few 1 3/4 or 2 inch deck screws at the ends, so the ends don’t drop as you walk on them, or so the planks won’t scoot around.
You can drill a crude counter sink for the screw heads, just by using your screw driver bit in your drill/driver.
Wobble it around to widen the counter sink.

my Home Depot will only make 1 cut to a board..... course they prolly would do 3 if you slipped 'em a $5'er....??

Thanks for the suggestions. A lots of lessons learned from this Texas freeze. I will be asking for more advice as I plow through this. Thanks again.

if it were me, I would try to figure out a way to get ALL WATER PIPES OUT of an attic !!!! assume WH is up there ?? Of course, I know that would be a huge undertaking, making a new space for it down below.....

Yes, the WH is up in the attic too. Moving everything out of the attic would be beyond my skill set. Once everything is plugged, I plan to insulate as much pipe as I can

Have a back up source for heat and you’ll be good. I suggest a back up generator too.
Moving pipes here really isn’t an option for most homes. Concrete slabs, no basements.

Losing heat was the main problem. Also people who locate fixtures on outside walls are susceptible, especially without heat.

If you lose heat and it’s freezing the best thing to do if you can is turn all the water off at the street and drain the piping. Air compressor will help.

I screw in 2x4’s on top of the ceiling joists and screw the plywood to them. That way it gets your plywood above the wiring and any pipes that are in the way.

When I did this I did what Rickyman does, added a 2x4 so as to not compress the insulation.

Still without water. Last two leaks to go. It’s been a challenge to find cooper pipe and fittings. Fortunately, we have a pool(have not attempted a startup yet), so water for flushing is only a minor inconvenient. Dishes, showers etc a daily trip to my daughter. I am compiling a list of lessons learned from all the suggestions and when completed, list them here. This unfortunate events are happening more frequently than I imagined.

my Home Depot will only make 1 cut to a board..... course they prolly would do 3 if you slipped 'em a $5'er....??
I have not had any cuts made there for a while.
But it used to be, one free cut, then extra cuts had a fee, but they would make the cuts.
Maybe the policy has changed over the years?

Yesterday and today, I was told at Lowe’s and Home Depot that their saws were out of order. Kind of sounds strange.

Get a sawzall and rip it in half in the parking lot. Take some saw horses. I’ve done it.
I also have cut drywall in their store on the floor., they don’t care as long as they don’t have to help you......

Yes, I even “borrow” a razor knife and drywall square from HD to cut right in the store.
The big stack makes a good work table, or a big flat rolling cart.

I cut oversize to my expected repair size, then fine tune on site.

Much easier to load and carry alone.

HD tried that ''SAW:' is broke crap with me. i bought a tablesaw and cut bup what i needed
right next to the drive in. when i got done I returned everything and told them the saw hard a bent shaft which was not safe. GIMMIE MY MONEYBBACK
ever sense then my wood gets cut!!!!!!

I will try one more time tomorrow. After that, if their machines are still broke, I will ask if I can bring my saw but use their table for cutting. I don't have a truck to haul 4x8 plywood anyway.

Cut it in the parking lot, I doubt they let you use a saw in their store. Maybe they will 🤣

Buy a battery powered circular saw, worth the investment!

18-Volt ONE+ Cordless 6-1/2 in. Circular Saw (Tool Only)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/205806375
Harbor Freight has some nicer ones, also cheap.

Buy two 2x4’s, lay them down in the parking lot as a cutting table.
Set the blade just deep enough.

A bag of crushed stone holds the plywood sheet from scooting around.
Or bring a helper, even better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back