Attention all professionals, Let's do a quick survey....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: When replacing the angle valve or any service shut off valve... do you have to replace the existing ferrell?
Not necessarily. I usually try the new valve with the old ferrule, but if it looks bad or leaks, or otherwise doesn't pass the smell test, I'll pull the ferrule and replace everything.

Can you get the ferrell off without cutting the copper tubing? Most of the time the tubing is too short to install the new valve if you cut it off.
I use 6” channel locks and wiggle the old off. But I am currently ordering that ferrul puller. I love new useful tools

I use 6” channel locks and wiggle the old off. But I am currently ordering that ferrul puller. I love new useful tools
tool whore!!!!
want something really neat?
look for a chain muffler pipe cutter, you can use it as mini cutters for 1 1/2' 2'' and 3'' copper

Whose puller do you have? Mine (Pasco) works OK, but looks less elegant, and requires more space to use, but doesn't use the old valve retaining nut.

Latest posts

Back