Asking plumbers, managers and contractors. Drain cleaner contacting plumbers for work, referals?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny3xd

Reaction score
I am reopening a one man, drain cleaning business. My plan is to contact mechanical services, real estate management companies and plumbers for referrals and work. My question, when I approach you and you don't do or want to do drain cleaning. How would you like to be approached and do business? Do you think you would want a simple "Thank you" of 10%/$20 bill and my plumbing/work referrals?

Would there be another sort of incentive that would lead you to do business with some one contacting you out of the blue?

Also, would some one calling you out of the blue like this be off-putting and would there be a particular approach on my part that would make you more comfortable and and want to at least try out a new company?

Any thoughts as always are greatly appreciated.

Don’t compensate anyone for referrals.

That’s how I feel about that.

Your money would be better spend just advertising.

Youth sports, schools, church, senior citizen center.

Treat those people right and they’ll advertise for you......for free.

Don’t over charge, don’t under charge.

That’s my advice.

I’d also like to add that I’ve never found an apartment complex that will pay on time or at all.

I quit working for them 20 yrs ago and enjoy every time one calls that I get to tell them how I feel about apartment managers and owners.

Very cool and thank you 2Wax. I was gonna ask you.

Funny you should say that about apartment managers. Aside from Burger King (a franchise owned group) The only times I got out-right beat was 2 actual slum lords. I had felt bad for the people who ended up living there on section 8. Just sad.

Getting to the exciting part of a new venture. I was ill and just getting back to work. Very uplifting!

I have to give you a thumbs up for wanting to clean drains as a business. I hated drain cleaning, and
still do. If you lived close to me I would give you any plugged drain call that came to me. Good Luck
in your new venture.

I have to give you a thumbs up for wanting to clean drains as a business. I hated drain cleaning, and
still do. If you lived close to me I would give you any plugged drain call that came to me. Good Luck
in your new venture.

Thanks for the well wishs, Tom!

It is funny, how much I enjoy it. Once ya diagnose (hopefully correctly) and really get a feel for whats going on at the other end of the cable. Kinda zen and mindless. For some bizarre reason, I find it relaxing.

All the corporate rooter companies have moved into the area the last few years. It insane what they charge. $400 and 500 dollars for a sink. Not kidding. And the poor HOs (home owners) Have already paid a "come look" fee. As a business, a good opportunity.

The larger business plan is to have 4 r 5 trucks on the road in 5 years.

I am truly impressed with good plumbers. Just the shear amount of information plumbers have to keep up with. And do the customer relations, book keeping.

By comparison, drain cleaning is a snap.Kinda pass/ fail.

If I were you I'd make a business card with info on it. What you do and the equipment you have. Locating existing drains can be half the battle and we use people who can reliably locate them.

When you make these cards drop them in select businesses mailboxes or jobsites.

I think referrals are key to this, but entering into an agreement with someone about referrals isn't a good idea as you'd like to clean drains for every plumber. Just scatter them around and they will all use you. Plumbers don't like to clean drains unless it's a simple one.

Also a nice van with logo and a good name helps.

Another also... Full on sewer inspections with recorded camra footage for home buyers is essential. Get good equipment that not everyone has.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd make a business card with info on it. What you do and the equipment you have. Locating existing drains can be half the battle and we use people who can reliably locate them.

When you make these cards drop them in select businesses mailboxes or jobsites.

I think referrals are key to this, but entering into an agreement with someone about referrals isn't a good idea as you'd like to clean drains for every plumber. Just scatter them around and they will all use you. Plumbers don't like to clean drains unless it's a simple one.

Also a nice van with logo and a good name helps.

Another also... Full on sewer inspections with recorded camra footage for home buyers is essential. Get good equipment that not everyone has.
Sage advice, JG. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back