Are some shower cartridges (brand) more prone to whistling than others?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanadka

Reaction score
We recently had a new walk in shower installed. It replaced a jacuzzi/garden tub. Right from the start, the shower would whistle when you moved the handle into the hot zone.

I removed the shower head and it still whistled so I assumed the cartridge was the culprit. I bought a replacement one (DELTA - same model) and it seemed to helped but I could still hear a slight whistle, albeit much lower.

It still bugged but I could live with it, until today. While showering it just started whistling really loud again. Almost worst than the first cartridge (which was also brand new). Could it be this specific DELTA cartridge? So hard to enjoy the new shower when that noise is constantly in you ear.

If it’s not the cartridge and not the shower head then that leaves the piping and the rough valve.
You could try flushing the piping with the cartridge out.

So, you could replace the cartridge again, replace the shower head and if the noise continues then you’ll have to replace the piping and/or the rough valve.

Check how many gallons per minute your shower head is flowing and your house water pressure. The only time I’ve had a whistle is when flowing high gpm and high water pressure.

Back