Are single handle valves for showers less prone to leaks than 3 way diverters?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidbord

Reaction score
Most 3 handle valves for new install are obsolete because they lack the ability to balance pressure changes. Most codes require pressure balance or thermostatic temperature control to prevent scalding. Another government intervention to protect us from harm.

single control valves can fail just as easily as a 3 handle. Especially with some of the new crap they make these days.

I just pulled another Moen Positemp cartridge today and it was only one of several that has disintegrated inside the valve of which I had to dig it out.

The old original Moen single handle valve is obsolete for new installs because it is not pressure balanced. they still sell them. They call them diverter valves.

I have a Price Pfister Avante shower valve. Installed it about 20 yrs ago. It's before pressure balance was required. Still has the original cartridge.

Now in regards to your 3 handle valve. If you have a price Pfister, That valve is easy to repair and get parts for. There are a others that you are better off replacing the valve due to parts availability.

Most 3 handle valves for new install are obsolete because they lack the ability to balance pressure changes. Most codes require pressure balance or thermostatic temperature control to prevent scalding. Another government intervention to protect us from harm.

single control valves can fail just as easily as a 3 handle. Especially with some of the new crap they make these days.

I just pulled another Moen Positemp cartridge today and it was only one of several that has disintegrated inside the valve of which I had to dig it out.

The old original Moen single handle valve is obsolete for new installs because it is not pressure balanced. they still sell them. They call them diverter valves.

I have a Price Pfister Avante shower valve. Installed it about 20 yrs ago. It's before pressure balance was required. Still has the original cartridge.

Now in regards to your 3 handle valve. If you have a price Pfister, That valve is easy to repair and get parts for. There are a others that you are better off replacing the valve due to parts availability.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I happen to be very sensitive to mold, and would like to minimize any leaks by selecting shower handles & valve that have a low chance of leaks. Would you recommend changing my shower handles (See image below), and if so- what model/s would you recommend?

Current Handles:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE9efAsH2jhLVlRc1BueFVLMVE/view

Unless you want to do a lot of tile work you're going to need the large cover plate. It will cover the holes from the old 3 handle so you can go to a single handle. I am a Delta and Moen fan. I just changed my nephews old 3 handle on Saturday and he picked the Delta, I can't remember which model it was.

Back