Apartment project that I am working on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where does the tee in the middle go. It looks as if they have a backflow device then that tee which would supply the plumbing water and then a detector check valve assy which will then supply the fire sprinklers.

That's all I can think of. They don't do set ups like that any where out here, we always have two taps for that occasion but I could still be wrong. I am just guessing here.

I find it odd that they have so many spools and the reducer in the mix. I have only used spools once and that was to span a large footing and the only time we reduce is for a 12 inch line since they don't make 12 devices we have to use a ten inch.

Chris, I think the line is being feed from both ends and it's just for potable water. If it was for a fire line there would be no meter other then one on a DDC which I don't see. The valves on the other end that doesn't have a meter are only turned on when the device is being serviced so there is no interruption in service.

The only thing that I question is the reason for the stainless steel spool. Unless that is a spacer for a DDC and the line is being feed from the branch of the tee and is in fact feeding both the fire line and the potable water. But that would put the meter on the wrong side of the RPZ.

John

If you look at the picture, you can see the blue plastic water main coming out of the tee that turns up to feed the street side of the assembly. That pipe then turns a 90 towards the right side of the picture. It is hard to see, but at the extreme right side of pic, just about halfway down, there is a valve. The pipe comes out of that valve, then back into the center leg of the assembly.

If I can remember/have a second on Monday, I will take another picture.

Chris, I think the line is being feed from both ends and it's just for potable water. If it was for a fire line there would be no meter other then one on a DDC which I don't see. The valves on the other end that doesn't have a meter are only turned on when the device is being serviced so there is no interruption in service.

The only thing that I question is the reason for the stainless steel spool. Unless that is a spacer for a DDC and the line is being feed from the branch of the tee and is in fact feeding both the fire line and the potable water. But that would put the meter on the wrong side of the RPZ.

John

It is possible it is being feed from both sides but out here they would never do that unless it was a place like a hospital and even then unlikely. I agree there is no meter bypass on that DDC if that is even a DDC.

Out here that SS spool with the Vic clamps would be a check valve to stop the fire water from going back to the city water supply. Similar to the one I install.

If you look at the picture, you can see the blue plastic water main coming out of the tee that turns up to feed the street side of the assembly. That pipe then turns a 90 towards the right side of the picture. It is hard to see, but at the extreme right side of pic, just about halfway down, there is a valve. The pipe comes out of that valve, then back into the center leg of the assembly.

If I can remember/have a second on Monday, I will take another picture.

So what you are saying is that there is a bypass of pipe that comes from the street side before that blue RP looking thing and connects just after that where that Tee in the middle goes up?

DC1.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, I think the device that is installed is a RPZ and is servicing the potable water which is feed through the branch of the tee. After phishfood pointed out the tee and valve running from the riser to the branch on the tee I believe that line is the bypass used for servicing the RPZ. The only other thing I don't understand is that if the line on the other end is feeding the fire line and the DDC is yet to be installed the fire line would also have to go through the meter.

John

Here is a Watts 757 backflow device, It is as close as I could find to the contraption Phish has out there. I find it strange still the pipe bypass, I have no clue how that is legal and why it only inches deep. Phish can you take a look at the tags on both of those devices and see what make and model they are, that should tell us exactly what they are doing.

757OSY.jpg

I used to operate a cat 305 mini excavator and realized its power and speed when one day I ripped a large boulder from the ground and literally threw it into the air and then mid-air caught it with the bucket and thumb... awesome machiene.

Last edited:
wow, much posting while i posted that ^ bypasses are always installed where I am in a commercial building .

It makes sense that they are installed. I guess this coast is just anal about people stealing water and don't allow anything that makes sense.

the boulder stayed between the thmb and the bucket but was weightless for a few seconds and spun round like a baseball before I re-grabbed it. it was during the first day of learning it after operating an older kubota for several weeks.

OK, a little late, but as promised, more pictures of the main supply into the project..

ForumRunner_20120328_184650.jpg
The above is a diferrent angle of the bypass that I was talking about.

ForumRunner_20120328_185115.jpg
This is a shot of the meter assemblies from the other side. Chris, what is the reason for the two meters?

ForumRunner_20120328_185408.jpg
This is a close-up of the tag on the drum looking. device.

ForumRunner_20120328_185554.jpg

I believe that you called these spools? Are these the backflow device on the assembly?

I'm not sure why they have a bypass meter on the meter. And yes the spools are the check valve for the backflow . Definitely an odd set up.

More pictures.

ForumRunner_20120418_215458.jpg

First floor walls, 2nd floor trusses and floor decking, and second floor walls are started. This is a 35 unit building, with 4 garage bays on the ground floor. Total of 8 buildings similar to this, and 3 small 2 unit carriage houses.

Last edited:
Picture of the hand threader in action.
L
ForumRunner_20120418_221731.jpg
The clubhouse has a double top range and a freestanding fireplace with black iron gas pipe feeding them. I claimed that piping as the last bit of plumbing that I would have the time to do on this project.

OK, Liquid, as promised,a picture of one of the wet vented bathrooms with a single lavatory. With this type of configuration, I have noticed that the water level in the toilet bounces when you dump a full tub.

ForumRunner_20120428_203009.jpg

under our code in canada you would not be allowed to connect in this fashion, you would have to connect a 2" branch off of the toilet and this 2" wet vent would continue to the T-wye for the lav above the flood rim of thge lav it could be reduced to a 1 1/2 connection.
The tub/shower connection would be by means of a 1 1/2 wye coming off of the 2" headed for the lav ( on the horizontal ) Your current connection was accepted in the canadian 96 code i believe as I remember a time when it was permissablle to wet vent in this mannor.

just shows that differnt places have different ideas of what is acceptablle. regardless, nice looking project. :)

Used to be that way here, I think it changed with the 2000 code, though I am not sure of the year. I still think that is a better way, and will do it that way when working for my own company.

You missed the bowed waterpipe at the back of the picture?:eek: I thought I had it excluded from the frame when I took the picture. Somebody gets to fix that before I turn in the picecework timesheets tomorrow.They bent it around the sprinkler pipe drop that you can also see in the picture.

Back