ao smith install tp valve issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarence2society

Reaction score
so i live in a mobile home in fort lauderdale. i came home form out of town for work 3 times and found my breaker tripped.... finally realized there was water all over top of water heater and hitting the wires going into the top in that pocket. so it has been off for 4 months at least. i hadnt fixed it cause im rarely home these days but with pandemic well i been home 8 weeks straight. i have an a o smith new heater i got on offer up super cheap and goin to install that it is an ENLB 30 model 30 gal. my old one is the white blue style with plastic drain at bottom....

the company asked me for my serial number when i called for a tp valve cause i did not get one with this unit.... they sent me one with a 3 1/2 inch shank and the stem coming out the bottom is rather short 7/8 of an inch protruding from shank as in the pics ... i have read the stem needs to be 6 inches into the of the water of top of tank?? whatever that means exactly im not sure....

im not sure if this TP valve is made for side or top install or both.... cause my unit came with the side port plugged with a 1/2 inch or so socketed plug which has plumbers dope or tap alrdy to seal it in........ the top of the unit has another port next to anode port which is sunk in about 2 inches and this port is not plugged and is opened and has white gunk in the threading as if its ready for a valve install....i would prefer to not take the side plug out and put it in the top if there is no reason to. so why mess with it if its already good to go.. however.....

is this tp valve qualified for top install with that shank and that stem length and will it be safe? cant seem to find an answer in any manual or of course or by phone which leads me here extremely frustrated and half way through install as my old tank is removed already and new one about to go in tonight. ..... ive never done this and i know how important it is to install properly and how dangerous a bad install could be...

so i dunno if this valve is made for top or side or both.. nobody can seem to give me a solid answer including ao smith tech support. which is great! lol . i just wanna make sure i do this right and dont damage myself or my home...

another forum some dude said "he cant help without the model number and wait for the plumbing pro to show up..." um if there was one coming i wouldnt be here asking for help. and i been unemployed 8 weeks due to CV and fl aint paying us a lick of unemployment and i have 80 bucks left in my bank account... and have not had a hot shower in 8 weeks now..... i need this done and done properly tonight. as for model numbers the only thing on the tp valve is 1944 4 on the flipper of the top and my tank is ENLB 30. i have checked the box they sent my valve in and nothin in it or on it so far as model numbers. i know the guy sent it according to my serial but he never asked about side or top mount or mentioned to me which way this one goes or does it matter.

thanks for your time. sorry for lengthy post but i had to explain details clearly for accurate advice and knowledge.... i appreciate any help you guys can throw my way.. i really need this installed tonight or early in the am.. preferably tonight. i havent had a hot shower in 8 weeks. only boiled water baths every few days📷 ugh that sucks. i need a real shower again...

Attachments

• 20200416_022039_resized.jpg
    20200416_022039_resized.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200416_022143_resized.jpg
    20200416_022143_resized.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200416_022159_resized.jpg
    20200416_022159_resized.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Message_1586131153333_resized.jpg
    Message_1586131153333_resized.jpg