Anything wrong with this installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked at it and it seems it would be fairly simple to run a direct vent and tie it to the Washer vent in the attic above. Trying to decide whether to ask him to do that or just leave it be with the AAV (don't really want this guy cutting anything else, every time he fixes something he creates a new problem)

Question: Does the S trap configuration need any correction? or does direct venting that line solve that issue as well? (I guess I don't really understand what makes it an s-trap)

Last edited:
as the drawing shows, when you offset up, the water inside the pipe cuts off the path of the air

this is called a s trap, it is illegal

seee the bottom drawing with no offsetr, the air is not blocked

add a tee and vent you are ok

BasementBath.jpg

2016-05-15 20.14.09.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation. I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff. A month ago I barely knew how to flush a toilet

simplest illustration of how a vent works, put your finger on the end of a straw and take the straw out of the glass

water stays in straw. no vent, remove finger from straw..vent

the MAIN job of a vent, is to protect the water seal of the ptrap, if you have no vent, or a s vent

the water can siphon it self out of the trap.due to negative pressure, leaving a dry trap. when this happens, the sewer gas is allowed a pathway into your home

I'm starting to get the hang of it. I understand the need for venting, trying to understand where that vent ties in makes a difference. For example, in this sketch, I'm told by plumber that either A or B are fine, doesn't matter where the vent ties in as long as there is enough vent. Other plumber says A is good, B is bad, will cause siphoning. Opinions?

drainvent.jpg

Last edited:
both your drawings are wrong in the upc

right drawing shows vent connection below flood level rim

left is an s trap

the flood level rim, is the counter top, or as my instructor explained it, where the water runs out onto your shoes

you can not offset a vent 90 degrees, below the flood level.

WHY? if the fixture backs up, waste will back up into the vent and can block the vent

BasementBath.jpg

As Frodo said I posted this on the wrong thread. This is the kitchen island with the AAV. I have new pics I will post back over on that thread. Thanks

Last edited:
Back to the laundry. Update, he fixed the venting problem. He did not change the drain, but took out the 90 at the top and extended a pipe up to attic tying into another vent. I think it is correct now.

Remaining problem, he did NOT lower the drain. Top of drain is 18.5". Bottom of tub skirt is 18" high. Bottom of basin is 20". It isnt here yet, but if it is like mine, the skirt will be notched in the back for the trap arm, is this gonna work or is it too close?

mustee.jpg

Last edited:
If the drain is that high, the water lines will be even higher and likely not allow the sink to sit flush on the wall.

This "plumber" seems like a clown

I know there is about 4" space between basin and wall, so I think supply will be ok, it is just the trap artm I am worried about.

At this point he has redone it like 4 times and every time I think he has fixed it he changes something else that makes it wrong again. That pattern repeats through the whole house. He has spent ALOT of time on site, so he isn't just being lazy. He was there every day for WEEKS. I'm starting to think he has psychological problems. He IS a master plumber, but I think his experience is very specialized and not new homes.

Last edited:
Well, ok. Lets say the sink does sit flush on the wall. Does it make much sense to have to get your arm up behind the sink to shut them off it there's ever a problem? What about years down the road if you are asked to change the taps? Does that sound fun?

Nope, definately not. I'm so weary of fighting him, AND the GC who thinks he is doing a great job At this point I am focusing on the things that will cause major issues, like sewer gases in the house and clogs, and trying to understand the rest and document it for future reference.

I thought AAV's had to be fully accessible... :confused:

His meaning was that the contractors would claim that a conventional vent was roughed in after the initial rough in inspection. The contractor plays like a "good guy" trying to do things the right way to the inspectors, meanwhile its a ruse to keep the inspectors from snooping around too much to find out what's really wrong. Once a contractor gets caught b/s-ing an inspector it's always harder for them in the future.

Latest posts

Back